HELP - Filler Primer Issue

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Kam_den_Vox
TKID: 10527

HELP - Filler Primer Issue

Post by Kam_den_Vox »

I need help ASAP. I threw a coat of filler primer on my Don Post helmet, and the surface of the dried product looks like an aerial view of the Mohave Desert. Does anyone know what caused this, and other than completely removing the coating by sanding, what the best way to fix it is?
Chris B - TK 10527
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Naval Line Officer - Vice Admiral
Garrison Excelsior - Nickel City Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: HELP - Filler Primer Issue

Post by stripes »

Sanding and elbow grease... Not much else you can do.

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Post by Gruff »

Sounds like there is a silicon type substance on the helmet. This can be found in a lot of car polishes and other common protectants like Armor All. You can get a silicon or wax and grease remover to clean it off. If you don't the same thing will happen again.

Then it's just a matter of sanding it back and starting again I'm afraid.

Kam_den_Vox

Post by Kam_den_Vox »

Yeah, I had to sand down the primer, and got it down real smooth. Thankfully, the filler primer actually filled in what I needed it to fill in. So, while there was the cracking issue, the primer at least did its job.

This helmet is going to be the death of me.
Chris B - TK 10527
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Post by Gruff »

Otto_den_Ktulu wrote:Yeah, I had to sand down the primer, and got it down real smooth. Thankfully, the filler primer actually filled in what I needed it to fill in. So, while there was the cracking issue, the primer at least did its job.

Remember to use a silicon or wax and grease remover before you paint. Otherwise you will have the same issue. Sanding it back does not remove all of the silicon/wax. I know this because I used to paint cars at a crash repair shop. Believe me, I learned the hard way.

Kam_den_Vox

Post by Kam_den_Vox »

Gruff wrote:
Otto_den_Ktulu wrote:Yeah, I had to sand down the primer, and got it down real smooth. Thankfully, the filler primer actually filled in what I needed it to fill in. So, while there was the cracking issue, the primer at least did its job.

Remember to use a silicon or wax and grease remover before you paint. Otherwise you will have the same issue. Sanding it back does not remove all of the silicon/wax. I know this because I used to paint cars at a crash repair shop. Believe me, I learned the hard way.

Got it, thanks!
Chris B - TK 10527
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper