Fiberglass reinforcement on helmet...

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Kalashnikov

Fiberglass reinforcement on helmet...

Post by Kalashnikov »

I'm thinking of fiberglassing the inside of my helmet with Bondo Fiberglass Resin. I have the Rubies Supreme Edition helmet, which is cheap plastic, an I hear it's prone to cracking in hot and cold weather. I've never used fiberglass before, so I'm hoping to get some advice before I start.

Have any of you reinforced your helmet with fiberglass? Any recommended do's and don't?

Also, I hear Bondo Fiberglass Resin smells really REALLY bad as does all fiberglass stuff. But I hear the smell never, ever goes away. And if it's going to be inside my helmet, next to my face, and I'm smelling it all the time, it's going to either get me high or give me a massive headache.

Any help would be hot.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: Fiberglass reinforcement on helmet...

Post by stripes »

melthecrow wrote:I'm thinking of fiberglassing the inside of my helmet with Bondo Fiberglass Resin. I have the Rubies Supreme Edition helmet, which is cheap plastic, an I hear it's prone to cracking in hot and cold weather. I've never used fiberglass before, so I'm hoping to get some advice before I start.

Have any of you reinforced your helmet with fiberglass? Any recommended do's and don't?

Also, I hear Bondo Fiberglass Resin smells really REALLY bad as does all fiberglass stuff. But I hear the smell never, ever goes away. And if it's going to be inside my helmet, next to my face, and I'm smelling it all the time, it's going to either get me high or give me a massive headache.

Any help would be hot.
If you are referring to the new Rubies supreme helmet, it is not prone to cracking in heat like the old Don Post was. It is a solid helmet (as it should be for the hefty price tag).

I would highly recommend against running fiberglass inside ANY helmet as not only will it irritate your skin, the fumes will be a constant source of other problems.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Agreed...I'd fiberglass it only after a problem occured. Take care of your helmet (keep it safe and secure) and you should be fine. That being said you do need to be smart (with all helmets, not just ours). We had a Vader in the Garrison who was trooping at an outdoor event in the summer, the temp got into the 90s and the hosts had a cooler truck we could use. He walked into the truck (it was more a freezer truck) and the temp shock from 90 to mid-30s along with the fact his black helmet had been in the sun for a long time caused his paint to crack while standing there. That was a sad day.

Darth Munchies
TKID: 51481

Post by Darth Munchies »

Oh man, my heart is breaking for that poor fellow :geez: