Make your own visor.

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Mauri
TKID: 91176

Make your own visor.

Post by Mauri »

Hi!

Trying to replace my visor, it broke up! :?

My idea, not to buy more visors, is to make it by myself. The problem is that I don´t know what material to buy. I´ve thought of a plastic sheet... I´d like to have more than one, for sunny days or night events...

Any idea????

Thanks!!!

Cabbagefarmer
TKID: 7617

Re: Make your own visor.

Post by Cabbagefarmer »

I bought me some Acryl sheet 3mm thick and cut out a Visor. You could saw it out very careful with a sabre saw(with a special acryl blade).
After that you can shape it and form it for example in a pre-heated oven. Be very careful by doing that.

Mauri

Post by Mauri »

Cabbagefarmer wrote:I bought me some Acryl sheet 3mm thick and cut out a Visor. You could saw it out very careful with a sabre saw(with a special acryl blade).
After that you can shape it and form it for example in a pre-heated oven. Be very careful by doing that.
Thanks. I'll try it!

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I used a replacement visor for a face shield used in construction:
They cost around $10 and can be found at big box construction stores (Lowes, Home Depot, True Value, Ace Hardware) or even auto stores in the US. I cut out the shape using a razor blade (though a special saw blade would be easier I bet) and used window tint to darken it after the visor had been shaped.

silverBoyd
TKID: 5945

Post by silverBoyd »

I have serached and searched and this forum hardly has any photos. How is the best way to install the lenses?
Carolina Garrison CO (2014 - Current)
TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TR-5945 / Return of the Jedi: Royal Guard
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I went the very complicated route of getting a piece of metal (that magnets can attach to) and bending it to the shape inside of the helmet near the opening. Then I glued the visor material (face shield in my case) and clamped it in place for a day. After it had the shape I put the window tint on. In the meantime I attached some strong magnets to the inside of the visor originally with CA glue but after that failed during my first troop I used some super glue that was designed for extreme temperatures and moisture (I found it at Walmart so it's not like it was super hard to find). Five years later and it's still going strong. Doing it they way allows me to remove the visor if I needed to change it.
Like I said, more complicated then it needed to be but it works and I always end up over-engineering things.

gigglesdatrooper
TKID: 60815

Post by gigglesdatrooper »

I used a football style visor. Its a piece of film I got from S.H.O.K. in Australia. If you tell them your looking for the star wars one they know what you need. I just cut it, taped it in and bam. Looks super against the black and its like your wearing sunglasses.

Mauri

Post by Mauri »

This is a good option, yes!

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

gigglesdatrooper wrote:I used a football style visor. Its a piece of film I got from S.H.O.K. in Australia. If you tell them your looking for the star wars one they know what you need. I just cut it, taped it in and bam. Looks super against the black and its like your wearing sunglasses.
Nice that they know why those increased in sales
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

DustyMuscle

Post by DustyMuscle »

gigglesdatrooper wrote:I used a football style visor. Its a piece of film I got from S.H.O.K. in Australia. If you tell them your looking for the star wars one they know what you need. I just cut it, taped it in and bam. Looks super against the black and its like your wearing sunglasses.
Do you happen to have a link to them. Can't find it in my searches.