My Helmet

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

jin starkiller

My Helmet

Post by jin starkiller »

My helmet that I will be working on for approval .....I got this a while back in a trade it is a fiberglass helmet that needs some work to it. I need to fix the area where the bondo filler is and sand the helmet down. I figure to use medium sand paper then use fine till it is smooth. Hopefully if it warms up some I can do a coat of primer and then go from there.

What type of paint and color should I be using for this .....thanx

ImageImage

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Re: My Helmet

Post by Cybermew3 »

Some people like motor vehicle paint. In regards to colour, whatever best matches the red velvet outer robes you have/plan on getting.

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

My bucket is a fiberglass model from South America which I did very similar work to. I ended up using Krylon paint which was the correct color. I used a grey auto primer underneath which was wet sandable and had some imperfection filling abilities. After 3 coats of primer (wet sanded between each one) I used 2 or 3 coats of paint (wet sanding as well). Then I used Krylon's Triple Glaze clear coat and I'd steer clear of that personally...it was TOO thick and it didn't give me the finish I wanted. That being said...it's been 3 years and I haven't sanded the whole thing and started over so I guess it's not THAT bad :)

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

Also, you can consider taking it to a motorcycle or auto-body repair shop to see if they'd be willing to paint it and clearcoat it. That would be the best way to go if they can color match your robes...but it's pricy.

jin starkiller

Post by jin starkiller »

yea I already been pricing around and the lowest was around 350 and the highest was 475

think might try and paint it myself

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

We had a guy in our garrison take his ROTS Vader to a motorcycle shop and it cost him $200 and Vader is way more complicated than a TR. I think you just need to find the right guy who likes Star Wars and you're set :)