New Rubies Supreme Helmet Visor question.

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Darth_Davis

New Rubies Supreme Helmet Visor question.

Post by Darth_Davis »

Does any one have any experiance with replacing the visor in the new Rubies Supreme Helmet? Or a good idea for a way to darken the exsiting visor? If you know how or have a link to a tutorial and a resource for a dark red acrylic sheet that could be used to replace the exsisting visor with I would really appreciate any help. Here is a pic of my helmet in question. Thanks!

bdgr
TKID: 4468

Re: New Rubies Supreme Helmet Visor question.

Post by bdgr »

Here's an older thread that talks about replacing/darkening the Rubies Supreme RG Helmet: http://www.forcepike.net/forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=1127

I personally would just put window tinting or dark transparencies behind the current visor.
bdgr
TB/TS/TI/IC/IG/IS/CC/TR/TA/IN/TD 4468

Darth_Davis

Post by Darth_Davis »

Thats a good Idea. I have thought about that. I just didnt know how well the window tint would hold up for trooping.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

I removed the original visor and replaced it with a red mirror football visor cut to the same shape. Had no issues with it as it's held in place by screws, not glue.

Darth_Davis

Post by Darth_Davis »

Awesome thanks for the help. I ordered a sheet of Red Mirrored acrylic same stuff used in the football visors. So I will get it installed an post pics when it arrives. :trsuit:

redpaint
TKID: 6263

Post by redpaint »

If you can when you install the new piece try to leave an air flow gap.
I've used little washers on mine, between the visor and the helmet.
It's tricky to put in but worth it.
Before I put the washers in it was a fully sealed environment in there and always fogged.

Rapture23
TKID: 23126

Post by Rapture23 »

I work in plastics and made this from a couple of our materials. It is .040 anti fog polycarb (what they make paintball/welding visors with) with a red mirror film tint. You apply it just like the screen protectors on your phones.

It looks pretty good, just worried it might be a little too transparent so I want to see how it looks in my helm when I get it in a couple of weeks. Assmuing it looks right I will have quite a few extra material sets if anyone would like to make one.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I used to troop with a red visor with window tinting behind it. It was red but only if you got within 6 inches of my bucket and looked at it. My issue was the fact everything I looked at was red and that drove me nuts. I recently replaced mine with a smoked motorcycle facemask and some window tinting. Now nobody can see in and I can see out just fine.

The best way to test it would be to put the bucket on and take a selfie with a flash. If you can see your eyes you know there needs to be some tinting applied. If you do apply window tinting it'll need to be after the visor is in place because you can't tint a flat piece of plastic and then bend it, bubbles will appear.

Rapture23

Post by Rapture23 »

I will try the flash thing and see...that is my biggest concern

The bubbles I am good on, this is a forming grade of tint and will stretch some (not the same as car windshield tint). It is made for formed arcylic displays (jewelry/make up displays, etc). I bent this pretty far and I was good on the bubbles.

I found football visors to be an inexpensive option so I am not going to take a lot of time on this though.

Rapture23

Post by Rapture23 »