ROTS CRL

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Silverback
TKID: 98266

ROTS CRL

Post by Silverback »

Hello all i know im new to the site and to the royal guard costume in general, but i have been doing lots of research of late and just seem to blowing my mind away with the two slit four slit outer robes.
Im not sure if its just me and i just cant see the four slits on any reference material or the film itself.
I have read other posts on the subject so it does seem to be a bit of a sticky grey area which at best is just plain wishy washy.
i know (because ive read it many times) that the crl states four slit robes but how screen accurate is that if its not possible to fully distinguish?
Jason Fairhurst

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: ROTS CRL

Post by stripes »

The slits have been thoroughly researched. There are 4 slits for the RoTS version of the guard as laid out in the CRL.

bdgr
TKID: 4468

Post by bdgr »

If you want to do a ROTS Royal Guard, you have to base it on the official CRLs, which specifically call for 4 slits. An option, if you are uncomfortable with doing a 4 slit outer robe, is to just do an AOTC Royal Guard with 2 slits. We definitely have images of the two slits for them. You will of course also have to have the correct gloves and boots for an AOTC Royal Guard. Best of luck on your Royal Guard build.
bdgr
TB/TS/TI/IC/IG/IS/CC/TR/TA/IN/TD 4468

Silverback

Post by Silverback »

Can I ask we're the reference material was found? Has anyone got the visual evidence to show this?
Jason Fairhurst

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I'm fairly certain Lucas has already altered the prequels to the point where Ewoks are guarding the Chancellor at this point.
In other news I'm going to let prequel experts speak on this though I will add this screenshot from Episode 3 where I believe you can see the back slit (or at least infer it's there):

Some CRLs were created with other source materials ("Making of" footage for example)

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

I've talked with LT on this and he'll be posting source material showing the 4 slit configuration

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

This is a behind the scenes photo of the guards. You can see both the front slit from where the other guards robes hit under it along with the slit to expose the gloves.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Silverback

Post by Silverback »

Cheers for the replies guys we seem to making a little progress on highlighting material to back up the claim of four slits.

Yeah i must admit the first time i saw the shot on the crl i did think there was four slits (two front two rear) well as to the point that there does look to be a rear slit on the left side of the closest guard.

But thats as far as i got! because then after looking at that shot for a fairly long time i realised that the so called third/fourth slit in the closest guards rear robe is nothing to do with him at all. It is in fact the guards arm and left arm slit of the guard stood furthest away from the camera, the guard is all most hidden from shot by the guard stood closest to the camera all apart from a small portion of him from shoulder to hand.

if you look at this screen shot from a few frames earlier you can clearly see that there are four guards in a two by two formation and in close proximaty to each other

so in the screen shot from the crl the guard cant just disapear! he is there! and that is what we can see. not a rear slit but in fact the fourth guards arm, shoulder and hand.

After pondering that picture for so long and even though that scene had been deleted from the finished movie i then had to go back to the finished film. i watched it over and over stopping and starting and trying to get the best freeze frame to show the four slit robes. It is not one of the best characters to get a rear shot of as you always see them face on so it is hard to make the call. The only time you get any idea is the yoda scene and even there it doesnt show conclusive.

My only comment there is if the guard had four slits in the robes it would split as his leg was in the raised position. the robe looks like there is no seperation at the rear if there was the robe would not sit as it does in that shot.

I suppose its easy to dismiss this and say 'no its four slits' but if you look at the pictures closely with an untainted view you will see what im saying does have grounds to be reviewed.
Jason Fairhurst

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, the number of slits on the robes or the Episode 3 guard has been thoroughly researched for years and is not going to change. The CRL for the RoTS guard at present, minus some language clarifications, is set. There has been sufficient proof provided via various resources, the above photos just being small examples, to provide the proof of the 4 slits on the RoTS robes.

If you have questions regarding the construction of these robes, we are more than happy to help you in that quest.

Balcony Brawler
TKID: 11107

Post by Balcony Brawler »

stripes wrote:While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, the number of slits on the robes or the Episode 3 guard has been thoroughly researched for years and is not going to change. The CRL for the RoTS guard at present, minus some language clarifications, is set. There has been sufficient proof provided via various resources, the above photos just being small examples, to provide the proof of the 4 slits on the RoTS robes.

If you have questions regarding the construction of these robes, we are more than happy to help you in that quest.
Can I jump in? Do you have a picture of the inner sash? Not trying to change the CRL, I'm just curious because I've never seen a reference to it.
TR 11107
Bast Alpha Garrison
The Emperor's Thinking Guard