Condensation issues

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

kaa1304
TKID: 13047

Condensation issues

Post by kaa1304 »

Hi

I have real issues with condensation in my lid. My visor doesn't just steam up, it quickly get water on it, literally, that can run down in drops. Luckily I have enough room around my visor area to lower my head and wipe it with my balaclava forehead! But that's not ideal, in fact it's gross.

I've tried installing fans, but I don't seem to have much luck with placement - while i can move quite freely once in the lid, the lower area doesn't have much room. I'm slightly concerned about battery packs consideration the wet state as well. I have a slight gap at the top and bottom edge of the visor, I have no idea if this helps (as I've never not had it).

Is this a common thing? How do you deal with it?

As much as I love my guard, and the reactions to it, it's kinda nasty to be in there!

cheers

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: Condensation issues

Post by JesterTDA »

The condensation issues I deal with are directly related to the heat and humidity I'm trooping in. For example...this past July we were doing a baseball game and early in the evening it was hot but not that humid. As the game went on a storm front approached and it got a lot more humid. There was simply nothing I could do and my troop was over. You can always try anti-fog sprays used for scuba diver masks or paintball masks. Those may help. When I troop indoors or during the winter I never have a condensation issue.

kaa1304
TKID: 13047

Post by kaa1304 »

I use a scuba spray everytime, as I do with my TK and i cant say it was overly hot the last two troops - maybe 12, 15C tops. The spray does virtually nothing, it's far far more than steaming up.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

With the relatively sealed nature of the helmet design there isn't much that can really be done. Keep in mind that the external temperature isn't the only thing that will affect the condensation. The humidity also plays a huge roll. Also, the temperature inside your bucket will be 10-15 degrees higher than the external one.

Vlade
TKID: 75233

Post by Vlade »

In an old thread, some TRs were talking about using a snorkel-type set up to exhale air out of the helmet to cut down of the building humidity in the helmet. Another option is a hand-held A/C unit like the one Gallid uses. (Links included below)

Hope you can find a system that works for you!

http://forcepike.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=180
http://forcepike.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... onditioned

tkid7248
TKID: 7248

Post by tkid7248 »

My country is warm and has >90% humidity all year round. Some ideas:

1. Velcro a stiff cellophane visor from the inside so there is some ventilation gap between helmet and visor. I used to do that.

2. Use a black mesh instead of a visor - not sure if this is allowed for canon troops.

3. Wear a black nomex balaclava backwards with no visor at all, and the insides of the helmet around the visor painted black - people who peer into the gap see only darkness.
TR7248, Singapore Garrison

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

tkid7248 wrote: 2. Use a black mesh instead of a visor - not sure if this is allowed for canon troops.

3. Wear a black nomex balaclava backwards with no visor at all, and the insides of the helmet around the visor painted black - people who peer into the gap see only darkness.
Neither of these options are acceptable for approval or trooping 501st or canon events.

cjfrancese79
TKID: 89620

Post by cjfrancese79 »

The only real condensation issues I've ever had are when it's cold outside and the heat and moisture inside build up.
Christopher Francese
TR/TI/IC/IG 89620
Northeast Remnant

exar
TKID: 13927

Post by exar »

I use the Handy cooler method, and it helps tremendously both with the condensation in the helmet and on the visor.
With that said I do still get rather moist in there. My other guard and I have talked about just putting a small sponge near the bottom of the bucket to help stop the drooling problem.

sarge
TKID: 6074

Post by sarge »

Fog issues can be resolved by using dish soap on the lens. I use this method on my TD lid and never had an issue after that. put some soap on your finger and rub it on the inside of the lens and wipe off the excess. let it dry and troop fog free.