First TR Build

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

jo1991

First TR Build

Post by jo1991 »

Howdy all,

I am starting my first ever build, after borrowing a friend's TR. I am wanting to do a ROTS royal guard.

I would like some help to know where to get a helmet, if there are ones that are better than others, more room, sit better etc. I am in New Zealand, so I will have to get it shipped to me also.

I am also looking into different ways of making the robes and if there is a way they sit nicer on than others.

I would like as many tips as possible. Any help on what is great about your own builds and if you could change anything how would you do so?

Thanks in advance for the help! Can't wait to join the ranks of TRs. :trsuit:
Just your usual coffee break, from the Deathstar.

Balcony Brawler
TKID: 11107

Re: First TR Build

Post by Balcony Brawler »

Great to see you on the boards! I just finished my build and am working on one for my girlfriend. I currently have a Rubies Supreme helmet because I have a huge head and that helmet is HUGE! If you choose to go rubies make sure that you get the supreme collectors edition because earlier rubies helmets are tiny.

As for the robes, I'd say go with velveteen because, in my opinion, it is easier to work with than real velvet. Real velvet will slip and slide something bad while you are sewing.

If you have any questions be sure to post on here and be sure to keep us updated on your build! Everyone was very helpful with my questions on my build and I'm sure they will be just as helpful with yours.
TR 11107
Bast Alpha Garrison
The Emperor's Thinking Guard

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

The rubies supreme edition is definitely huge... I got mine earlier this year and love how big it is compared to my old don post bucket.

Velveteen is also my preference as it can be washed and doesn't get ruined if it happens to get wet... But that's just me. :trsuit:

jo1991

Post by jo1991 »

Thanks! That is great to know. Now I can really search to buy a helmet.
I will be sure to keep you all up to date with pics of my build.

Petros
TKID: 10364

Post by Petros »

Hi Mate, another TR in the Southern Hemisphere is great. I am across the water from you in Queensland and part of the Redback Garrison.
You have had some good advice re the helmet from the previous posts, likewise postage was a key point for me, and I found keeping an eye on amazon.com handy as they change prices reguarly. I bought my helmet when it was an exchange rate of $104.00 US, our dollar now is $0.92 US so you need to factor exchange rate.
I got great advice form my GML in our garrison when buying the helmet from a local supplier, it was poor quality and I would have wasted my money.
I have used the information on this forum regards robes material, gloves, helmet tint etc, you will find a lot of information. My robes have been made locally by a Garrison Member, I pick them up next week.

I have a build thread on the Redback Garrison forum "Petros TR Build", hop on the site and have a look.
I have only recently joined in May and my first costume DZ approved in Aug, and everyone is great and welcoming for new comers.

Peter

jo1991

Post by jo1991 »

Petros wrote:Hi Mate, another TR in the Southern Hemisphere is great. I am across the water from you in Queensland and part of the Redback Garrison.
You have had some good advice re the helmet from the previous posts, likewise postage was a key point for me, and I found keeping an eye on amazon.com handy as they change prices reguarly. I bought my helmet when it was an exchange rate of $104.00 US, our dollar now is $0.92 US so you need to factor exchange rate.
I got great advice form my GML in our garrison when buying the helmet from a local supplier, it was poor quality and I would have wasted my money.
I have used the information on this forum regards robes material, gloves, helmet tint etc, you will find a lot of information. My robes have been made locally by a Garrison Member, I pick them up next week.

I have a build thread on the Redback Garrison forum "Petros TR Build", hop on the site and have a look.
I have only recently joined in May and my first costume DZ approved in Aug, and everyone is great and welcoming for new comers.

Peter

Thank you, it is great to have someone semi local who can also give advise.
I will more than likely be making the robes myself, and just get help from a friend who helped make the one I have tried on, and also a friend who is a seamstress (no lack of help around here). Looks like I will also be going with the velveteen, but now need to look into if I can source it locally, or best to get it overseas.

Does anyone know about the helmets someone is selling on the 501st forums from the UK? Are they any good? A few friends already accepted as TKs have shown me, but I would like to know if they are any good, or is the Rubies Supreme still better?

I have also been looking at, after I have done the TR, then being able to modify it for a Kir Kantos suit. Has anyone else done this and has advise where to get armor?

I am looking at buying the helmet in my next pay (I get paid monthly) so I am really looking forward to starting my build.

Petros

Post by Petros »

HI mate,
I sourced the material from Spotlight Fabric store, not sure if you have them in NZ our a similar store.
If you are unsure on the right helmet, your Garrison in NZ, Outpost 42, be sure to ask them about approval as they will be the ones giving final approval.

My velveteen was $40 a metre and considering how many metres I held off for a sale and bought it then.

Here is one link from my thread on Redback Garrison

Balcony Brawler
TKID: 11107

Post by Balcony Brawler »

Petros wrote:HI mate,
I sourced the material from Spotlight Fabric store, not sure if you have them in NZ our a similar store.
If you are unsure on the right helmet, your Garrison in NZ, Outpost 42, be sure to ask them about approval as they will be the ones giving final approval.

My velveteen was $40 a metre and considering how many metres I held off for a sale and bought it then.

Those gloves look great. Where did you find those?
TR 11107
Bast Alpha Garrison
The Emperor's Thinking Guard

Petros

Post by Petros »

Hi mate,
I had the gloves made to measure form a guy here in Australia, he did a great job, all I needed was a trace around my hand and I sent him the CRL. He was previously aware of the highest standard of 501st, as he has had a few people from the Redback Garrison have him make other parts for their TK, Clones etc.

If your outside Australia best to email him and you can go from there.

Ph: (07) 5530 3024m: 0413 563 030
rworship@hotmail.com

If you need anything let me know.

Peter

jo1991

Post by jo1991 »

Petros wrote:HI mate,

I have tried to get to the thread, but I cannot find it. I searched on the Redback Garrison forums but it didn't come up. :?

We do have Spotlight here, so I will have to go have a look and see how much it may sting me. I also have access to some wholesale fabrics, so might have to see if I can go down that option.
The inner robe, does that have to be a set material, or just the right colour?

I have just started talking more in Outpost 42, so hopefully I can get some good answers that will help me with approval.

I also have to say they are some of the best looking gloves I have seen for a TR. I may have to email the guy you got yours from and see if he would be will to make some and send across the ditch.

Thanks so much for the help.