Repainting a Rubies?

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

PanzerKraken
TKID: 41181

Repainting a Rubies?

Post by PanzerKraken »

How easy is it to repaint a Rubies supreme edition bucket? I would like do a shadow guard really but don't know how well paint takes to the already pained and shiny rubies finish.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: Repainting a Rubies?

Post by stripes »

PanzerKraken wrote:How easy is it to repaint a Rubies supreme edition bucket? I would like do a shadow guard really but don't know how well paint takes to the already pained and shiny rubies finish.
You have to give it a good sanding and then use a primer that will bond with the plastic material of the helmet.

I did this with my old Don Post and may yet be doing it with my Rubies depending on how I feel the colour match is to my outer cloak.

PanzerKraken

Post by PanzerKraken »

And a Rubies is a good and sturdy bucket? Or is it soft like some of their other buckets which with time deform and lost shape? Is the Supreme guard bucket a stronger material?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

The Rubies supreme is NOTHING like the old Don Post. It is solid, and roomy. Haven't had any super hot days to test it out this year though...

PanzerKraken

Post by PanzerKraken »

Cool, it sounds like the easy route to go to get a bucket, just click and buy on Amazon. Though is there good cheaper alternatives of good buckets that are not painted that would be easier to start off with? Any details of who to contact would be appreciated.

PanzerKraken

Post by PanzerKraken »

How wide is the Rubies at the base? Seen some other buckets on folks and they nearly reach a persons shoulders and look odd. One non Rubies I was looking at when I measured would be huge on me. Is there smaller options out there?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

I don't have the exact measurements on me right now... I'll see what I can do in the near future to get some measurements. The Rubies supreme edition is definitely not sized for a smaller body frame.... The real dilemma I see some people running into is having a larger head with a smaller body frame... not really a helmet out there designed for this).