Tinting a red visor

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

kaa1304
TKID: 13047

Tinting a red visor

Post by kaa1304 »

Hey all,

I have a standard red visor in my lid which, in direct sunlight, lets people see part of my face (ie my nose is more visible). I had a layer of smoky tint on it but, at the last troop, I was SO hot in there, the tint actually warped and fell off!

So, I've read all the other visor threads, but what do you do? How do you find acrylic that is dark enough (I really am not going down the mirror route) or, falling that, how do you attach a layer to your visor and seal it so condensations can't happen inbetween the layers?

thanks

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: Tinting a red visor

Post by JesterTDA »

I used a smoked motorcycle visor with a piece of red overhead transparency film simply taped to the visor. I happened to find a piece in my office (it's a house that is over 100 years old and has been used for office work for decades now). I'm not sure where it came from exactly but I did find this on Amazon. I can't swear it's the same thing but I imagine it isn't far off.
I never once had condensation issues but the film was on the outside of the visor and I'd treated the motorcycle visor with some anti-fog spray used for paintball helmets.

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Try some dark window colour. Or a paint used to darken car lights.

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

I'd be careful with paint or tint only because you're looking through it and any imperfections will be magnified as they'll be so close to your eyes. I know model makers have been known to use fabric dye to tint plastics but that's a lot of trial and error.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

There are some very high-end, very expensive paints that are used by prop makers to tint clear plastic, but you do need to know how to apply things properly.... The one I have seen is a spray can paint specifically designed for tinting clear plastics.... it has to be applied in a single thick coat (against what you would normally think of as proper spray can painting procedures) and must be left flat until it is cured so that it doesn't create any ripples.

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

The issue with the spray paint then would be the need to keep things flat when tinting. A visor is curved and I bet once the spray paint is cured it'll have issues when you curve it into place.

That would be a major concern for me.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

JesterTDA wrote:The issue with the spray paint then would be the need to keep things flat when tinting. A visor is curved and I bet once the spray paint is cured it'll have issues when you curve it into place.

That would be a major concern for me.
Actually this paint is designed to go onto a flat acrylic and then be bent into place without cracking....

Here is a link to the paint... it is custom automotive grade stuff.... Check out Armory Props on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Armory-P ... ts&fref=ts)to see how to apply it to a clear lense....

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/niteshades/

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

Ah...that makes sense. I've been watching Armory Props for awhile because I love how they show their work and while I'm not interested in HALO I do have an appreciation of their work.

Good find and it looks like the red runs about $15 US

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

JesterTDA wrote:Ah...that makes sense. I've been watching Armory Props for awhile because I love how they show their work and while I'm not interested in HALO I do have an appreciation of their work.

Good find and it looks like the red runs about $15 US
Yes... hence the expensive part as compared to a normal spray can at around $4....

Mizuno
TKID: 91054

Post by Mizuno »

Does dark Window Foil work? Has anybody experience with this?
I thought about to darken my visor with it, as It can be applied to smooth sofraces like windows, and even be removed if necessary.