Helmet repairs

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Precious

Re: Helmet repairs

Post by Precious »

Thank you all for your advice and help! I've emailed Aaron from the Plastic Empire regarding the paint and any repair tips he might have for me. As White Knight has already stated, we'll keep you posted on our progress. We hope to have completed repairs by October 6th for the Star Wars Reads Day troop. :trsuit:

Kam_den_Vox
TKID: 10527

Post by Kam_den_Vox »

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I figure there hasn't been a response in a month, his question was answered, and I saw no point in making a new thread.

So here's my situation. I have a Don Post, when I got it the back had a piece broken off, so I cut out the flapping pieces and then used mesh and bondo to reform the back. I thought it was a great fix, but on my last troop I noticed that the bondo had separated from the cut that I made.

And my question, is there a better substance I can use to reform it? I was considering a plumber's putty that I know becomes hard as a rock and can be sanded, but I didn't know if there was something better out there. I have never worked with fiberglass before, so I haven't truly considered that as an option.

Thanks!
Chris B - TK 10527
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Naval Line Officer - Vice Admiral
Garrison Excelsior - Nickel City Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

With the Don Post helmet it isn't easy to make repairs. More often thn not, once it's cracked or broken you need to start looking more at replacement than repair. That being said, mine was dropped and cracked and I used E6000 as a repair means until I can replace it.

Kam_den_Vox
TKID: 10527

Post by Kam_den_Vox »

I actually came up with an idea last night that I think may work. I had some cracks at the tips of the visor that I glued with Gorilla Glue, and then went over with bondo to cover, and those have stayed intact. So what I'm thinking is using some coarse sandpaper on the edges of my cut (which is in a half moon shape) and cut out a piece of storage tote to match the cut and use the Gorilla Glue to bond the two together, then go over it in either bondo or the plumber's a poxy.
Chris B - TK 10527
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Naval Line Officer - Vice Admiral
Garrison Excelsior - Nickel City Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Precious

Post by Precious »

Sorry about your Don Post helmet! I hope the gorilla glue works well, and I agree that E6000 holds together really well. Eric and I used E6000 on my helmet, and it worked well. That being said, I just want to give an update on my helmet repairs. The repairs went well. We followed Aaron's instructions to repair the crack, and now we just need to give it a few extra layers of paint. There was also a bit of sand caught in the paint because it was a windy day when Eric painted it. So we'll probably sand off the sand and give it a few extra layers of paint. I'll post pictures when I have some.
Good luck on your Don Post helmet.