Distinctive Nov. Sale / Sy Fabrics cheaper on ebay

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Distinctive Nov. Sale / Sy Fabrics cheaper on ebay

Post by Darth Skellington »

Okay, found out two cool things today.

www.distinctivefabric.com has a 15% off sale during the month of November. Their velvet runs $7.75 a yard, the sale would make it $6.59 yd.

www.syfabrics.com has an ebay store as well, that can be cheaper thatn their website. Their website currently has velvet for $6.99 yd (1-9 yds), $6.75 (10-29 yds). Theire ebay store has the Dark burgandy for $5.99 yd. Now, the difference is shipping. Website charges flat rate of $9.50. Ebay store charges $5 first yard, $1 for each additional yard.

So, depending on how much you order, it can be cheaper to use their ebay store, especially if you have a 10% off ebay coupon like I sometimes get via e-mail. Here's an example.

Let's just say you want 10 yds dark burgandy from Sy fabrics. Total withs hipping on their website is: $79
Total on ebay is: $74
Total using an ebay 10% coupon: $68

So, I would certainly shop both their website and ebay store to find the best price. Their ebay ID is: syfabrics
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Re: Distinctive Nov. Sale / Sy Fabrics cheaper on ebay

Post by Darth Skellington »

Purchased all my velvet just now. :)

I got 8 yards of red velvet from Distinctive Fabric and 15 yards dark burgandThe ebay 10% off coupon code is good until the 30th of November and is: CHOLIDAYNOV2008 Note: may not work for everyone.

Distinctive Fabric's annual thanksgiving 15% off sale code is TDAY08, also good through the end of November.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

You got a little extra burgundy than I got I got 12 yards. But i think the way my robes are going to lay I should still have enough.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Don't want to get any hopes up yet, but I'm looking into velours currently. Been learning about the theatre curtains the original robes were made from. I still agree that synthetic velour and cheaper cotton velour looks horrible, but I'm seeing the higher-end cotton velour looks pretty darn good. Problem is, it's going to be expensive, when I find good sources for it.

This won't be the recommendation for the Guard-on-a-Budget, but for accuracy-minded folks like me, it'll be woth the extra cost.

I still like the plush triple velvet, but good cotton velour has a denser nap and less of a sheen...

Said that to get you thinking about future upgrades. :) For now, awesome score on the velvets, Skel. :D

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

Jumpin Jax

Post by Jumpin Jax »

Peregrinus wrote:Don't want to get any hopes up yet, but I'm looking into velours currently. Been learning about the theatre curtains the original robes were made from.

--Jonah
According to whom?
Red men tell no tales.

Ang
Former DL
TKID: 6624

Post by Ang »

I've read somewhere that they used large cuts of old salvaged theatre curtains made out of velour for ROTJ, and also show why there are practically no seams when we look at the guards on screen as opposed to the prequel versions.

For now, the Distinctive Fabrics and Sy Fabrics velvet is the most affordable recommended fabrics for use on all the guards. Velour can look like crap, and anyone who has actually been to an exhibit and seen the old ROTJ costumes can see they aren't in the best of shape.

Until a recommended, reputable source is found, stick with the velvet, let Jonah do whatever research he wants, and let's not throw jabs at each other? K. K.

<3!

PS: WOO SALES!

tavrikgannon

Post by tavrikgannon »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jumpin Jax

Post by Jumpin Jax »

He can do whatever research makes him happy. And I will openly dismiss grandiose statements made without evidence.
g'day
Red men tell no tales.