Squeaky Boots

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Squeaky Boots

Post by Darth Skellington »

Okay, so I have a like new pair of German jack boots. And.....they squeak. It's not the insoles I added for cushioning...it's the actual boot sole...at the heel. And I'm not talking the occasional <eek> <eek> ...... I'm talking about <SQUEAK> <SQUEAK> <SQUEAK> with every step. I'm pretty sure it's the leather insole rubbing against the leather heel siding.

Anyone have any solutions? Do I just need to wear them alot. Do I need to oil the heel with some saddle soap or something? I would really hate for my guard to debut, whenever that is..to be the the Emperor's Squeaking Guard. :P
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Squeaky Boots

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

No my boots did (I lost them in the move) squeek and I've had them for a year. The ironic thing about this warren is for some reason they just do that. You just get used to it. Speaking of which how are those robes. And will you make the DEC 6th date?
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Darth Skellington

Dec. 6th is a no go. :(

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Ok then I expect you to be in mock up robes and helmet and forcepike watching the parade. If you get a picture of you doing this while watching the parade I'll count that as a good effort ;)

"I WATCHED THE ADOLPHUS PARADE" hehe ;)
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Darth Skellington

I'll take it under consideration. :) I'm actually pretty disappointed I'm not going to be ready. If it weren't for some financial setbacks recently, I couldprobbaly be very close to done, if not done.

Anyway, after a little poking and prying, I was able to pop the first layer of insole out of the boots. This layer was made out of what appears to be a heavy duty cardboard or fibreboard, on top of a layer of fabric. It was just sitting in there on top of the leather sole. This is apparently what was making so much noise when it rubbed against the leather heel. Underneath this is the leather insole with tacking attaching it to the rest of the sole. I just put my Dr. Scholl's inserts on top of this and everything seems fine. The occasional minor <eek>, but nothing noticeable. I think I'll leave these cardboards inserts out, unless I find a way to shave them down so they don't make that noise anymore.

Warren

Darth Skellington

Although I probably don't need them now, I would still be interested in hearing any anti-squeaking techniques for boots. :)

tavrikgannon

Post by tavrikgannon »

WD-40? :D

-Bill

stevieswift

Post by stevieswift »

Darth im from Australia and slowly getting together my outfit...im in search of the jack boot, im wondering if you have a site you know of or where you got yours from as im stuck and cant locate them.

Much Apprecaited.

steve.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

While this thread is several years old, there are a fair number of sources that you can find on these forums for both jack boots and alternately, red suede boots.... Have a look round and if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask!

stevieswift

Post by stevieswift »

Thanks stripes. Well im stuck on where to locate these jack boots. Do you have any links that can direct me me them.??

Cheers steve.