Ang's robe orders: an update on wtf is going on.

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Ang
Former DL
TKID: 6624

Ang's robe orders: an update on wtf is going on.

Post by Ang »

I've been trying to answer all emails to the best I can, but I wanted to make a public update as to why I haven't been taking any orders, or finishing any for the past couple of months.

Yes, I am in school full-time, but that only effects me a real solid 6 months out of the year. On top of this I do work a job which up until March HAD been paying me regularly, then my boss decided she wanted to move into a nicer facility, and my pay took a hit. This is not anyone's problem but my own.

I'm still trying to recover from losing the fabric last year when the ceiling came down after Irene. My former landlord (Yes, I moved...I had to, because I didn't like the skylight, or the fact he never fixed my kitchen windows that blew in last JUNE.) has refused to pay any monetary damages or refund my deposit as he claims that I broke the windows myself as an excuse to not have to pay rent. Yes, really. So I have had the RI state attorney general on his butt since November when I moved out, as well as the fire marshal, but that's the best I can do. He's a MA resident with his realty company based in Boston, and despite owning property in RI, by having his business across state lines, he gets to evade RI laws, and since the property is in RI, MA can't, and won't, do anything about it. He owes me about $1200 in my deposit and damages between 2 rolls of velvet that were BRAND SPANKING NEW, and tubs of linen I use for SCA garb purposes. The linen I could wash, the velvet I couldn't save. It would have cost me twice as much to have them cleaned. So I cut off what I could and was forced to throw out the rest. This is again, not really anyone's problem but my own, and the douchebag still managed to rent the apartment after I moved out WITHOUT the ceiling or windows fixed. I know this because I walk by the building every day. I wasn't aware that Providence was actually a third world country.

Basically I've had to eat the cost of rolls of velvet totaling about $400, and because I'm so behind I'm having a hard time keeping up financially with the obligation between school and my real job, which still owes me pay for the entire month of April, and forking over what I can to medical bills to keep that manageable, I have to scrape together what I can to get more fabric. I've tried to order from alternative sources overseas. This resulted in anywhere from a 2 month waiting period to receiving what was supposed to be a 30 yard bolt that was actually 10, so I got a robe and a half. Needless to say, that's the last time I do business with them. Twill I've got. In fact I have the shells and lining cut for 3 orders in my storage room just sitting there to be finished. I've tried to hit Joann's and whatever stores I can locally to find fabric, but they never seem to carry enough. I can get 3-4 yards of fabric at a time, and that's it. I was told I can order bulk, but I've tried to do that twice now, and both times I was told that there wasn't any velvet in stock at their warehouses, and they had no ship date for me...but they wanted money up front. Is there some sort of worldwide velvet shortage I'm not aware of?!

I've told everyone who has contacted me so far that I still plan to finish the robes as soon as I can get enough cash to get the fabric replaced, because I can't pay rent and bills and fabric costs out of pocket all at once, especially with me not getting paid by the really real job for the entire month of April with no date in mind when the bitch will cough it up, and because of my school hours, I can't get a full-time job, because no one will hire me without absolute flexibility, even for the summer. I do have a fairly large freelance gig coming up that should bring everything back up into the black to where I can finish all the orders I have and close up shop, because I'm too behind now to even consider taking more work, and it's not fair to anyone to have been waiting this long.

And yes, I do have stage 1 cervical cancer. I know some people have asked because they heard it through the grapevine, and I have answered truthfully. This is being treated entirely out of pocket as well because I didn't have insurance when I was diagnosed, and in America, well, that's a great way to get screwed, and RI did not adopt the pre-existing condition insurance that was passed last year. It doesn't make me very sick like a regular chemo treatment would, but I am sometimes laid up for a good week or two after a procedure. I'm not going to die, it's already going away, but what it is, is a pain in the ass and something I didn't really need a year ago. Another year I should be in the clear, and I do appreciate those that have called me or messaged me to check on my health, it really is appreciated, but overall I just want everyone to know that I'm FINE. It sucks, it's annoying, but I am otherwise healthy and in remission. Again though, my real life problem, not yours. Just make sure your kids get their HPV shots when they're old enough, please.

I will continue to answer emails and questions, and I'll gladly assist anyone who has fabric or pattern questions, because I keep no trade secrets. That's dumb. I just blocked out (drafted) all new patterns for all the robes to get better use of fabric and hopefully save me some money, but I haven't been able to test them yet.

Communication is key, please keep emailing me at kaousuu(at)gmail.com, I'm not always on the boards and it's easier for me to get to email via phone if I'm out, or at work.

For those that have inquired about refunds, I don't want to tell you no, because that's wrong and piss poor customer service, but I am not financially capable at the moment to do so. If I could I would, because that would lighten my queue, and allow you to get work done by someone who has the capabilities. I've looked into taking out a line of credit, but apparently a divorce and going back to school full time really tends to make banks hate you. Imagine that. I might be able to do something once my employment situation is ironed out and come the fall when I get my educational stipend back, but that's not until September.

Again, please EMAIL me, so we can discuss things privately. If you want to hoot and holler and scream at me, do it there, not on the boards.

I appreciate everyone's patience in this matter. Thanks.

justincase_2008

Re: Ang's robe orders: an update on wtf is going on.

Post by justincase_2008 »

Any updates?