What Material to use for Visor?

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

smcgaugh

What Material to use for Visor?

Post by smcgaugh »

I have a helmet but no visor. I have been searching the forums but can't seem to find any specific references to materials to use for a visor. I did see that someone said they used a dark smoke colored shield from a motor cycle helmet. I tried purchasing one and could not locate any in a store, so I purchased one online. When it arrived I found it to be far to transparent. Could any one help point me in the right direction for a visor material or point out threads that are a bit more specific about the material used. This would be for an ROTJ guard helmet. Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: What Material to use for Visor?

Post by JesterTDA »

You can use some window tinting you can pick up from a local auto store for a few dollars. That'll make it dark enough your face can't been seen.

cjfrancese79
TKID: 89620

Post by cjfrancese79 »

I need an opinion about my visor.
I have a red visor installed in my helmet already, but in sunlight you can see right in. I was thinking of adding extra darker tint on the inside so it will still show red on the outside but I'm afraid of it being too dark for me to see when indoors, Or else adding some mirror tint on the inside. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Christopher Francese
TR/TI/IC/IG 89620
Northeast Remnant

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

You could get the red version of this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Football-Lacros ... 826db0d2db and eliminate the red visor you have in place now...

RaiderNick
TKID: 3957

Post by RaiderNick »

A member here got his hands on a bunch of red mirror tint. He laminated it and it makes a great visor, so if you do go the tint route laminate it for extra strength.

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

cjfrancese79 wrote:I'm afraid of it being too dark for me to see when indoors,
I had a fairly dark red visor and while I wasn't bumping into things indoors (any more than normal as the field of vision is so limited anyways) when I switched up my visor to a window tint it made my life so much better trooping. Seeing things in true colors was so much better!

cjfrancese79
TKID: 89620

Post by cjfrancese79 »

Thanks guys, I'm not sure how I feel about the full mirror lense so I'm going to try tinting the current one with maybe an insert.
Funny about the color issue, I once thought this girl who was dressed as the Martian Manhunter was some sort of weird Dark Elf because of the red tint, the green looked black .
Christopher Francese
TR/TI/IC/IG 89620
Northeast Remnant

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

cjfrancese79 wrote:Thanks guys, I'm not sure how I feel about the full mirror lense so I'm going to try tinting the current one with maybe an insert.
Funny about the color issue, I once thought this girl who was dressed as the Martian Manhunter was some sort of weird Dark Elf because of the red tint, the green looked black .
I had a similar experience when a couple GreenDrop mascots came up for a picture... asked my GF who the 2 oil drops were there for...

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

With my old red visor I couldn't tell the difference between yellow, white, and pink. At an event kids were running around with autograph books and they handed me a yellow crayon. Who knows how many names I signed over because it might as well have been invisible ink!