Wolfman37's force pike wip for Tiggie

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Wolfman37
TKID: 4673

Wolfman37's force pike wip for Tiggie

Post by Wolfman37 »

As some of you know, it is my g/f Carol(Tiggie on these forums) this wants to put together a ROTS Royal Guard for her next costume. As her assistant, I have charged myself with building her force pike, and doing all the prep work on her helmet. In this thread I will document my progress in constructing her force pike. I am using Bdgr's wip thread as a tutorial to help me in construction. If you haven't seen it, it can be found here: http://www.forcepike.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=720

Parts:
1. Force pike body: 2 pc pool cue I have had since the early 90's
2. Force pike tip: Children's medical syringe from Babies R' Us
3. Force pike pommel: 3/4" PVC check valve from Lowes
4. Force pike grips: 16" long Hoover vacuum wand cut into (2) 8" pieces. Found this at a local vacuum repair shop
5. Force pike grip supports: Black o-ring in various sizes(still need to acquire these)
6. Force pike rasp emitter: Plastic dropper that I have several of(when you see the pics of it, you will understand)
7. Force pike pommel assembly: 4" long screw and washer
8. Force pike paints: Gray filler primer and silver from Lowes, flat black from my paint stash(I always have flat black on hand)

The build:

Here is what I started with. the pool cue has had all the paint/varnish removed from it.

Here it is broken down into two main parts. The upper and lower shafts screw together. Being able to take it apart will make it easier to transport.

I attached the pommel with the washer and screw and sprayed a coat of the gray primer on the lower shaft, and could instantly see some small gouges that will need to be taken care of.

I did not take a photo of the lower shaft after the primer was sprayed. Will probably work on this some more tomorrow, or over the coming weekend.

Stay tuned, there's more to come.

Wolfman37
TKID: 4673

Re: Wolfman37's force pike wip for Tiggie

Post by Wolfman37 »

For the tip of the pike, I purchased a children's medical syringe. Big thanks to Bdgr for finding a source for this for me. I had searched just about every store in town that would carry them and they all had ones with the wrong tip.

Thankfully, with Bdgr's help, there is a Babies R' Us about 20 minutes from me. Was able to get the correct syringe for just a few bucks.

I started with the syringe in the above image, and after a test fit on the end of the upper cue shaft, cut off most of the flaired colored end resulting in this.

After another test fit, I had to sand down some of the end of the upper cue shaft, so that more of the syringe would slide on, and I would have a bit more area to glue on. Applied some E-6000 around the inside of the base of the syringe and slid it down into place. I also added a small dab of E-6000 to the open tip of the syringe, and smoothed it out level.

Upper shaft with syringe installed: Image

The vacuum wand I got for the grips measured exactly 16 inches, so I marked off 8 inches as the half mark, and cut it into 2 equal 8 inches pieces.

I realized after taking the second photo, that the smaller piece on the top is the half of another wand I had that is only 15.5 inches long. All were laying on the bench after I cut the new one, and I grabbed one of the wrong pieces.

Stay tuned, more to come as I make more progress.