Any Patterns for the Outer Robe???? HELP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

RedGuard

Re: Any Patterns for the Outer Robe???? HELP

Post by RedGuard »

Well,... I could put the lens in my helmet. I ordered the pattern from the site you sent me for the under robe so I should be working on that in a few weeks and the pike I can start getting together the parts. So I have a few things to keep me busy till then.
Yeah, I think your correct I'll do the single slit to get approved then change it over to the double.
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

*chuckle* One cape is good. More is better. :D

When doing the inner robe, make a first pass out of muslin, and tailor the bejeezus out of it. Make sure it fits you comfortably. And remember to lengthen the hem to ankle-length.

Ditto the cape, once you get the pattern. The centre-back seam is the best place to take it in to get the shoulder seams in the right place, then adjust those to get the right shape around the curve of your shoulders.

If you're not going to have armour (recommended to get the right bulk in chest and shoulders), at least put shoulder pads in the inner tunic.

Do you know yet what you're going to be doing for boots, gloves, and pike?

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

RedGuard

Post by RedGuard »

I've got a really good shoe guy that does great work. He is going to take the extra material and cover the boots. Gloves I'll start making once I see how much material is left over. And Pike...Not sure which way I'm going yet like the ski pole Idea but someplace I read that the real ones were made from a deep sea fishing pole. so a little more research for that before I start.

Thanks for the Info on the inner robe.
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

You can get pretty authentic suede boots. I'm pretty sure the link is on the new board... And the gloves should be suede, too... Velvet works, but I don't know how concerned with accuracy you are.

The pike is still an annoying proposition. Research continues. A gajillion of those fishing rods were used for the Death Star II main reactor, and it would have been easy to set a dozen aside to make into pikes for the Emperor's Guards, but specifics are still largely conjectural.

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

RedGuard

Post by RedGuard »

well I decided to use a two piece cue stick as the base then I found a Faucet knob that I can mod pretty simple enough.. Is this a pretty good reference pic ? I got it off wookiepedia.Image

If so this wont be too hard at all to make. Should have it done in a month or so with on and off working on it..
It says its two meters long but any movie reference pictures with the guards holding it its no 2 meters that be 6.56 ft long. I though I found some place it was about 43" long but I see in the CRL its 4 ft...With my measurements of the reference pic I'm coming up with 3' 5 1/2 " but I might be off a bit. I see in the pics with the guards it only stands 9" above the head the way they are holding it. which would be 3' 5 1/2 " - 3' 6"
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

depends on your height - it should at least stick up maybe a foot above your head mine is about 4 feet tall.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Mine's about four feet, too. Where did you see two-metre-long? Everything I know of says "metre-long".

That's a good picture for gross details, but it's not an actual movie prop. The original pike didn't have corrugated grips. The best pictures I have seen so far are at the Detachment Photobucket here, here, here, here, here, and here.

--Jonah

RedGuard

Post by RedGuard »

Peregrinus wrote:Mine's about four feet, too. Where did you see two-metre-long? Everything I know of says "metre-long".

That's a good picture for gross details, but it's not an actual movie prop. The original pike didn't have corrugated grips. The best pictures I have seen so far are at the Detachment Photobucket here, here, here, here, here, and here.

--Jonah
Yeah seen those. Using them for reference info also.
Seen the size here. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_pike
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Ah, Wiki... Never blindly trust user-edited content. Always verify through the sources cited.

--Jonah

RedGuard

Post by RedGuard »

Whew. I thought we'd never get back on topic. :trsuit:
I got some of my pike :forcepike: done this weekend.
Like I stated I'm using a two piece Cue stick.
1. its closer to the dia. of the pike and its tapered from thick grip to thin emitter.
2. the two piece design will be easier for transport but will look just like the RTOJ version when together.
Also,Got a metal faucet knob that will just need very minor moding to make it more accurate.
Next greatest thing ever being Metal duct tape 3". Measure out 4' lay your stick in the middle and use a squeegee to slowly work the tape down. Another nice thing with a little aluminum polish you can make it as shinny as you want.
So that's where I an so far.
Last edited by RedGuard on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
aka. RedGuard