Just installed a helmet fan!

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: Just installed a helmet fan!

Post by JesterTDA »

So I know I'm dredging up an old thread here but I'm curious about the fan placement and your hair. I've got the same helmet, and I've got similar fans (not that exact set up though) and I'm trying to figure out the best placement for the fans. I'm concerned that I might get my hair sucked up into the fan with it being placed there but I'm not certian. Right now I've got both fans basically blowing air up the sides of my heads towards my ears almost. Sure I can't hear anything (hearing is overrated in a TR helmet anyways if you ask me *grin*) but it seems to keep my ears and face cool.

gilvagor
TKID: 5584

Post by gilvagor »

Has anybody else tried the fans in their buckets?. Mine is fogging up like mad. I'm thinking of getting one of them to help me out. On a side note what do my fellow brothers/sister use in their helm's (like tubeing for fresher air or just fans?. Does the full head padding help at all?
Toller
TR5584

redpaint
TKID: 6263

Post by redpaint »

gilvagor wrote:Has anybody else tried the fans in their buckets?. Mine is fogging up like mad. I'm thinking of getting one of them to help me out. On a side note what do my fellow brothers/sister use in their helm's (like tubeing for fresher air or just fans?. Does the full head padding help at all?

I had the same problem when I was first trooping and found putting a fan in helps. Also every so often i clean the inside of my visor with anti fog spray.

My fan is a computer one, made by our vader and sits on my left side with the fan part near the top of my cheek and the part the air blows through down near my chin area.
It works great.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I now use 2 squirel fans blowing air up towards my ears/face. This just keeps the air moving around. Now I've found when it's raining outside or cold (under 45F) I have massive condensation issues in my bucket. Not sure how I can fix that to be honest.

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

If you have a big enough helmet (ie..not Don Post), I highly recommend the squirrel fan....it creates a (relatively) massive breeze that will clear off your visor. I can blow hot air on my visor and can barely get it to fog for a split second. I also strongly suggest leaving a small gap at the bottom of your visor to allow hot condensation to escape. Without that gap, there is literally no way for the hot air to escape.

As for smaller helmets....smaller fans are your next best option....but you still need the air outlet from your visor.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.