Question about helmet modding

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Dante

Question about helmet modding

Post by Dante »

Hey, I'm back after cracking my head trying to figure out the password I've used in this forum. I've been wanting to ask if it would be ok, much less feasible, to create a helmet with a movable faceplate, much like the ones in this picture:

Or based on this picture:

Although this has never been shown in the movies, do you think such a modification, if it does not stray from movie-accuracy in terms of appearance, would be acceptable by the 501st?
"God is dead." - Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead" - God

The Force. It surrounds us. It enfolds us. It gets us dates on Saturday Nights.
Princess Leia: @(-_-)@

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: Question about helmet modding

Post by JesterTDA »

I wouldn't see a problem with it so long as the look of the helmet stayed the same (not sure how that would be done to be honest). For example...Clone helmets. I've seen some people cut out the front of their helmet and use magnets to attach them to each other, while others are able to slide their head into the hole without needing to remove the faceplate.

Basically...so long as the helmet remains looking the same then go for it, and good luck.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

That is really a tough one. You have to retain the seamless aspect of the guards. While you could do the open face one would need to still have the original helmet style for the Canon version.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:That is really a tough one. You have to retain the seamless aspect of the guards. While you could do the open face one would need to still have the original helmet style for the Canon version.
Exactly...if it COULD be done, then it's would be fantastic (and I think you'd have some other people considering the same thing). Can it be done? I don't see how you could maintain the seamless look, but stranger things have happened. The bottom line is that you'd never open your face shield up during a troop, only when you were in a changing area where you could have just as easily taken the bucket off anyways.

Now...if for some crazy reason you wanted to reproduce the Tag & Bink comic for a photoshoot or some non-501st event. Hey...go crazy with yourself.