Painting

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Peregrinus

Re: Painting

Post by Peregrinus »

So far I haven't found a need for any smoked/mirrored something to back up the red lens material I use. In all the flash pictures taken of me at Dragon*Con, I can only just barely see a hint of the bridge of my nose in a couple of them. Daylight shots, not at all.

ETA: Here's a close-up. This isn't my helmet, but borrowed from a friend who used the same material for his lens (from my roll, actually). There was no way I was going to trust airline baggage handlers with my DP bucket for a transcontinental flight.

That's with a professional-grade flash. If you really look, you can sorta get the impression that there's someone in there...

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

Jumpin Jax

Post by Jumpin Jax »

Try Gloss Red from Rustoleum, and follow the directions TO THE LETTER.
You will get a pretty impressive sheen with what I see as the perfect color.
Red men tell no tales.

Sandy2011
TKID: 9679

Post by Sandy2011 »

Stupid question; but i'm going to ask anyway lol ... did you all sand the bucket before repainting or did you all just repaint over ? just want to know what the majority of you fine fine fine guards did :)

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Can't be sure but I think it is a safe bet that there was wet sanding involved.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

While I never wet sanded I did sand and clean before each coat... I have probably 10 layers of red paint and I think 5 layers of high gloss clear coat on my bucket and it's stayed relatively shiny over the almost 2 years I've been trooping. I might sand it down and repaint it when I am at the paint stage of my next project (should be done some time next year)