Helmet storage/protection

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

warrenzo

Helmet storage/protection

Post by warrenzo »

Hey folks.

I currently use a motorcycle helmet bag for my TK lid, but obviously that is far too small, so im wondering what everybody does to protect their lids on way to troops and for storage??
Warren Blair

Shadow Guard in the making.........40% complete

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Re: Helmet storage/protection

Post by Darth Skellington »

I'm looking for a good travel case as well. I display my helmet on a stand while at home. Currently, for travel, I place a sweatshirt over the helmet to add padding, then place the helmet on the stand in the back seat of the car or in the hatchback trunk. I can then seatbelt the stand in place, or loop a loose bungee cord around it (attached to the seat headrest when in the hatchback trunk) to ensure it doesn't shift during travel or when we open the trunk.

My current problems most totes are too small, or too big for my helmet, and other containers (trash cans, hampers, etc) either don't fit or don't provide adequate protection (ridigity, lids, etc). I know someone uses a specific IKEA trashcan to protect the dome portion of the helmet However, mine is fibreglass, so I really nead a box with a padded interior to protect the whole thing.

I will most likely need to invest in a wheeled tool box, or build something myself. Igloo makes a nice wheeled cooler in a cube-like shape, but it just a few inches too short.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

MagnaPrime
TKID: 8285

Post by MagnaPrime »

I wrapped mine in packing foam making a sort of fitted exterior padding and haven't had a problem traveling with that in my tote.

tr7483
TKID: 7483

Post by tr7483 »

I wrap mine in my old cloak and stuff a towel in between the helmet and the sides of my tote. I still haven't had any problems with my helmet being damaged.

:tr:
TR-7483
Carolina Garrison
AOTC Guard- "Phoenix"

spoox

Post by spoox »

What about flying? anyone brought it along as carry-on?

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Just wear it, I'm sure that'll go over well :)

psujedi27
TKID: 2398

Post by psujedi27 »

For starters I keep my helmet wrapped in the original bubble wrap it was shipped in. I have a medium/large size tote with foam blocks lining the bottom. My helmet fits right in on it's side, and I put my boots on each side of it to stabilize it. I then put another foam sheet across the top and the lid snaps on. The only thing is that I try not to set anything heavy on top......just in case.
Andrew Marzka
Garrison Carida Merchandising Team
TR/SL/TX/TR/ID 2398

"An Imperial Guard never seeks special privileges. Ever. His entire goal in life is to serve the Emperor, and the New Order he created. His goal in life, and his desire in death." - Major Tierce

MagnaPrime
TKID: 8285

Post by MagnaPrime »

anyone have any ideas on how to keep it from getting too hot while you're running around a con out of costume or having to drive a long way with it in the back of a truck on a hot summer day? Mine hasn't warped yet, but it's gotten hot enough that it's too flexible for my comfort.