My changable visor

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

My changable visor

Post by JesterTDA »

So I've never been content with how some people are attaching their visors to their helmets and I had an idea I wanted to share. It's cheap, and fairly easy to do and I think it lets in a lot of airflow. These pictures are just works in progress, but I think it gives a good idea of how I'm doing mine. Note that the helmet isn't painted yet, as I didn't want any of my playing around to possibly mess with the outside paint job.

This is what the inside of my helmet looks like, I painted it black and it's gotten some grey primer inside over time, hence the cloudy look:

I glued a single rare-earth magnet to the center top right above the eye ridge using just CA glue:

Next I took a strip of metal I bought from the hardware store and bent it by hand to match the shape on the inside. The metal cost about $4 for a 3' strip and is about 3/4" high:

Now I'm using a red visor which came with my helmet and in this photo you can see how it's only held in place by tape for fitting purposes:

And this is how it looks from the inside. The magnet holds it in place and I'm able to move it around just a bit to fit better. Now I might grind the edges down but honestly I've tried to have it hit my head and at this point I can't manage it, so I figure why fix something that isn't broken.

From the outside it looks like this:

But notice there is a gap around the nose. I hope this allows enough airflow to minimize fogging. And the only way you can see this gap is to look at the helmet from the top down. I'm 6'4" so that won't happen too often:

All in all I'm very happy with the single magnet. This is an easy way to pop in different visors and also to just permantnly attach a single visor as far as I'm concerned.

A Hopeful Trooper

Re: My changable visor

Post by A Hopeful Trooper »

What is special about the rare earth magnet?
OR
Where did you get your bucket? it looks nice.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." -- Tom Clancy
:trsuit: > :suitup:

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

The bucket came from South America. We'll call him "FP". The rare earth magnets are just stronger than normal magnets. The magnet I used for this came from a set from ThinkGeek

tk882

Post by tk882 »

Brilliant!!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I will be flattering you :? :P

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

tk882 wrote:Brilliant!!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I will be flattering you :? :P
Thanks...I'm all about not reinventing the wheel....thats what these boards are all about.

tonirub

Post by tonirub »

impressive. I have the same helmet. I will use your idea. then I have to put a fan to circulate air. truly a great idea.