JJ's ROTJ royal guard WIP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Johann
TKID: 0

JJ's ROTJ royal guard WIP

Post by Johann »

Hi, this is JJ from Mexican Garrison, I have a Royal Gard from Keep Trooping, I can´t get approval because of the arm opening, It seems nobody can show me a picture a pincture of the Royal Guard from Return of the Jedi where The front of the robe overlaps the back at the arm slit obscuring the opening. I want to share picture of my costume, but I don'r find the way how to do it here.
Attachments
JJ GONZALEZ 28467 ROYAL GUARD ROTJ FRENTE.jpg
JJ GONZALEZ 28467 ROYAL GUARD ROTJ FRENTE.jpg (225.26 KiB) Viewed 251 times

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Re: JJ's ROTJ royal guard WIP

Post by ugcspawn »

Hey JJ, having myself a Keeptrooping (previously ImperialBoots) ROTJ kit, you should be ok. What exactly are you being told that is wrong? We are supposed to only have one opening (compare to the aotc and rots).Have you check the posts in the crl? If you clic on the images, they open in a bigger window.

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TR_rotj

For the image hosting, I'm using imgur.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

Hola JJ,

I've requested my Royal Guard DCA to take a look and maybe help you with the reference you need.

Our forum uses bbcode, so you have to either manually add the command to display a photo, or use the image button above the text box where you type up a post. YOu will have to upload the pic to an image website like imgur first though.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

Qaos
TKID: 16019

Post by Qaos »

I also got my robes from Keep Trooping. The width of the shoulders was far too wide for me, so I had to have them tailored to fit the width or my shoulders better so they would hang and drape correctly, but the arm opening design and location was not a concern for approval.
I'm a bit confused about the issue.

Johann
TKID: 0

Post by Johann »

]Hi, thanks for the quick and kind response, the GLM and de CO say the opening should be like the one of Attack of the Clones,

In post some picture on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 190&type=3
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-26 at 17.49.42.jpeg.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-26 at 17.49.42.jpeg.jpg (697.97 KiB) Viewed 208 times

RedWraith
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 45970

Post by RedWraith »

Hi JJ,

Thanks for coming to us to clarify an issue you're having with getting approval based on an interpretation of the CRL Outer Robe requirement stating: "The front of the robe overlaps the back at the arm slit obscuring the opening."

I took a quick look online and also couldn't see any clear examples of this from ROTJ (though my search was not exhaustive). In speaking to other Detachment Command team members, our consensus is that it is not reasonable to use a reference photo from another costume for this, even if it's similar.

The intent of this requirement is that the front panel of the Outer Robes ever so slightly overlaps the back to allow the drape of the robe to close naturally. When the terms front and back are being used they are referring to the panels of the robe, not the person. This closure is usually irrelevant anyway, since most guards hold their force pikes and so the robe is always open.

As for the Keep Trooping/Imperial Boots robes, they are widely used by approved Detachment members around the world (as evidenced by some of the other member responses you've had). Both my brother and I were also approved using them without any modification to the overlap. The only thing we did (apart from changes to the bottom hem for length and sewing in the inner lining) was to have a seamstress add "shoulder tucks" to reduce the overall width as they hung too far off our shoulders. This may have improved the overlap somewhat, but from what I can see of your reference photos, width is less of an issue for you or you've already addressed it in some way. It's also worth mentioning that the current ROTJ RG CRL reference photos use Keep Trooping/Imperial Boots robes.

As a way forward, we would suggest you request that your GML/CO posts on the Legion forum in the GML section so we can start a formal dialogue on this. That way we can advise the GML/CO on a go/no go decision. If you can also post up some close up photos of what the current overlap of your Outer Robes looks like, that would assist in us being able to advise them on this topic specifically.

Feel free to keep asking questions or posting updates on this until it has been resolved. Hope this helps.