Rubies Supreme Weight issue fix?

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Fox

Rubies Supreme Weight issue fix?

Post by Fox »

After getting my basic TK approved one of the next items, I bought was a 2nd hand Royal Guard helmet. The deluxe Rubies one. Placed that to the side while I complete several other builds. Thinking about revisiting it. Here's my biggest issue.

That darn helmet. It is heavy. Weight doesn't bug me too much, but the collar/shoulder sections are uneven. One side really digs in to my shoulder. Has anyone tried building a padding or harness system to redistribute the weight of this thing?

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Re: Rubies Supreme Weight issue fix?

Post by ugcspawn »

i have cheap gardening knee pads on my shoulders underneath my robe, so my helmet sit on them instead of directly on me.

iceknyght
TKID: 81175

Post by iceknyght »

I also have the Rubies Supreme and following some older posts when I was doing my research, I made a foam shoulder/back pad that works well. The back part is upholstery foam carved out and attached to some foam board that goes to the front. The sides are actually women's shoulder pads and covered the whole thing in duct tape to make it easier for the robes to slide over. The very front has a magnet that was supposed to click onto a magnet in the helmet, but didn't really work the way I wanted.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

ugcspawn wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:09 pm i have cheap gardening knee pads on my shoulders underneath my robe, so my helmet sit on them instead of directly on me.
This is what I did too. It doesnt show up beneath the outer robes. Plus it stopped me from unconsciously shrugging my shoulders up to keep the weight of the bucket off my head.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

Fox

Post by Fox »

iceknyght wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:32 pm Image
That is what I was thinking of. Also, Will look in gardening knee pads too. My helmet is sits a bit lopsided. Against my bare shoulders it tilts to one side and I'm standing straight. I had to fold over a towel to even it out.

iceknyght
TKID: 81175

Post by iceknyght »

None of them are symmetrical. That's how they were originally made (one of the "benefits" of being sculpted by hand. All the SW helmets from the OT have this issue). The nice thing about the foam is that it isn't super dense, so it "auto fills" the space and it ends up sitting right. Not the best pic, but can see how it "looks" correct even though if you look really close, it's definitely asymmetrical. In this pic, I have a foam helmet pad at the top of the helmet and my head is comfortable as the helmets weight is distributed between the foam collar (shoulders) and my head.