Discussion: Gloves and Boots

Gaanon
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 45666

Re: Discussion: Gloves and Boots

Post by Gaanon »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Wed May 31, 2023 3:43 pm Gloves:

-Panels cover entire back of hand from top or wrist to the knuckle.
I disagree. If you look at the promo pics, the panel ends well above the wrist. Closer to the base of the thumb. If you look at Gio's drafts, his version that goes from knuckle to wrist is way too long.

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Post by andyman97 »

I agree, that's what I meant by writing the top of wrist (at the hand, not the arm). Maybe to clarify, something along the lines of:

-Panels cover entire back of hand from where the wrist meets the hand to the knuckle.

-or-

-Panels cover entire back of hand from the base of the thumb to the knuckle.

RedLightning
TKID: 4019

Post by RedLightning »

that seems to cover it.
I may go ahead and order the FO boots from Keep Trooping if he can do my size, otherwise it will be Crow for boots if he gets that going.

Edit- I checked furher into the Keep Trooping boots and they run up to size 13, but the page says they wear more like dress shoes than work shoes. I have wide feet, so Ill talk to Crow once he has his available.

OrarKad

Post by OrarKad »

FYI, crowprops did just put up about and gloves bundle for about 300

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

I think these still look good. The only change from the last iteration is for the glove padding on the back of the hand from top of wrist to base of thumb.

Gloves:

Black gloves made of leather or leather like material with no visible decorative stitching or adornments.
Back of gloves features a shiny red, padded leather or leather-like panel with 3 wide horizontally stitched sections.
-Panels cover entire back of hand from base of thumb to the knuckle.
-Side edges of panels are stitched into the sides of the gloves.

Boots:

The boots rise to above-ankle height, and are made of red leather or leather-like material.
There is a seam down both sides of the front that swoops out to the side of the foot.
There is a vertical zipper on the inside that spans the height of the boot.
There is a black flat sole with no heel.
No buckles or laces are present.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:30 pm I think these still look good. The only change from the last iteration is for the glove padding on the back of the hand from top of wrist to base of thumb.

Gloves:

Black gloves made of leather or leather like material with no visible decorative stitching or adornments.
Back of gloves features a shiny red, padded leather or leather-like panel with 3 wide horizontally stitched sections.

Boots:

The boots rise to above-ankle height, and are made of red leather or leather-like material.
There is a seam down both sides of the front that swoops out to the side of the foot.
There is a vertical zipper on the inside that spans the height of the boot.
There is a black flat sole with no heel.
No buckles or laces are present.
I mostly agree with this wording, suggesting some changes here with justification:
andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:30 pm
Gloves:

-Panels cover entire back of hand from near the base of thumb to the knuckle.
Thumb: recommend adding a "near the base of the thumb" as the padding goes not all the way down to where the thumb meets the wrist, buta little bit past the first joint (if that makes sense?). The addition of that clause gives us wiggle room for different hand types.

Side edge stitching: This I admit was an error on myself and the Brian's part- I can conclusively say that the sides do not have visible stitcing on the red areas. The promo image showed it but in fact those were raised creases beside the red padding that is actually black in colour. The only other stitching I am sure of is a 3rd crease (other than the 2 that separates the 3 panels) on the top-most panel closest to the wrist. Thus I propose removing this line.

Boots: No changes to suggest, as FOTK boot working. I agree with that part.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Shikkakku wrote: ↑Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:19 am
andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:30 pm Gloves:

I mostly agree with this wording, suggesting some changes here with justification:
Gloves:

Thumb: recommend adding a "near the base of the thumb" as the padding goes not all the way down to where the thumb meets the wrist, buta little bit past the first joint (if that makes sense?). The addition of that clause gives us wiggle room for different hand types.

Side edge stitching: This I admit was an error on myself and the Brian's part- I can conclusively say that the sides do not have visible stitcing on the red areas. The promo image showed it but in fact those were raised creases beside the red padding that is actually black in colour. The only other stitching I am sure of is a 3rd crease (other than the 2 that separates the 3 panels) on the top-most panel closest to the wrist. Thus I propose removing this line.
So I think the confusion was likely poor wording on my part. From what I could see in the promos and references, when I said side stitching, what I meant was the actual side seams where the top/bottom of the gloves were joined. When I mentioned previously that I wanted to make my own gloves by slipping these panels into the side stitching, that's what I meant. I intend to flip my gloves inside out, rip the stitching for the side seams on either side, slip the panel into place, and sew them back together again. I wasn't quite sure about overall perimeter stitching like what Gio was doing but it never looked quite right to me. The stitch that was visible closest to the knuckles looked to me to be an actual seam where the top leather joined the bottom of the panel, not a topstitch. So I think we're on the same page now.

As for base of the thumb, approximations are always good imo. I added a section for the additional (third) top stitch near the base of the thumb that's visible and a sentence that the glove should extend past the wrist - we probably don't want a patrol style glove that shows skin...

Proposed text update on gloves:

Gloves:

Gloves extend past the wearer's wrist so that no skin is visible.
Back of gloves feature a shiny red, padded leather or leather-like panel with 3 evenly spaced, wide, horizontally stitched sections and an additional, narrow, horizontally stitched section that is approximately 1/8 inch wide at the edge nearest the base of the thumb.
-Red panels cover entire back of hand from near the base of thumb to the knuckle.
-Side edges of red panels are stitched into the side seams of the gloves.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:04 pm
Shikkakku wrote: ↑Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:19 am
andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:30 pm Gloves:

Gloves:

So I think the confusion was likely poor wording on my part. From what I could see in the promos and references, when I said side stitching, what I meant was the actual side seams where the top/bottom of the gloves were joined. When I mentioned previously that I wanted to make my own gloves by slipping these panels into the side stitching, that's what I meant. I intend to flip my gloves inside out, rip the stitching for the side seams on either side, slip the panel into place, and sew them back together again. I wasn't quite sure about overall perimeter stitching like what Gio was doing but it never looked quite right to me. The stitch that was visible closest to the knuckles looked to me to be an actual seam where the top leather joined the bottom of the panel, not a topstitch. So I think we're on the same page now.

As for base of the thumb, approximations are always good imo. I added a section for the additional (third) top stitch near the base of the thumb that's visible and a sentence that the glove should extend past the wrist - we probably don't want a patrol style glove that shows skin...

Proposed text update on gloves:

Gloves:

Gloves extend past the wearer's wrist so that no skin is visible.
Back of gloves feature a shiny red, padded leather or leather-like panel with 3 evenly spaced, wide, horizontally stitched sections and an additional, narrow, horizontally stitched section that is approximately 1/8 inch wide at the edge nearest the base of the thumb.
-Red panels cover entire back of hand from near the base of thumb to the knuckle.
-Side edges of red panels are stitched into the side seams of the gloves.
Agree with the glove wording, other than the "horizontally stitched section that is approximately 1/8 inch wide at the edge nearest the base of the thumb." I don't think we can add any sort of number measurement since we have no reference to that either on the promo pic or screencaps. Take out the 1/8" and I think we should be ok.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025