Let's talk gloves

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

DarthVoltron
TKID: 27330

Let's talk gloves

Post by DarthVoltron »

The CRL for ROTJ states "Burgundy or wine coloured cloth or suede gloves with no extraneous straps".

I'm wondering where this requirement comes from. I know that I'm very new to all this and I don't mean to stir the pot, but as part of my own research for my WIP ROTJ outfit, all of the info that I've run across seems to suggest, or say outright that they were leather.

We don't have a lot of detail from the movies, but this shot from the extras on the blu-ray makes me wonder:

Page 165 of "Star Wars Costumes_ The Original Trilogy" shows the costume, along with the words "Beneath the flowing candy apple red robes of the Emperor's royal guard were matching red shirt, pants, leather gloves and suede boots."

As a side note, it goes on to mention that the helmet was secured to the robes with clips from dog leashes, which gave me the idea to use the neodymium magnets to attach my robes to the helmet, rather than add padding inside the costume.

Anyway, I'm assuming that this is conversation that's been had before; I was just wondering why cloth or suede were ultimately chosen for the CRL?