MY ROTJ fail

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

DarthVoltron
TKID: 27330

Re: MY ROTJ fail

Post by DarthVoltron »

Bengirl37 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:47 am Looks good I would submit photos to your local GML, pike is optional for approval, it's just a cool toy to play with at events and makes you more intimidating when you are walking with a Palpatine or Vader ðŸ‘

Edit: is the under robes made of suad? And the belt doesn't look right, unless it's from a different pattern or brand I am not aware of.
It's definitely not suede, Just plain cloth. The CRL for ROTS (which this is, now) just says "Burgundy or wine coloured cloth". I think I'll need suede for the ROTJ version. I've ordered this - https://keeptrooping.com/product/imperial-guard-robe/ for that version.

I started a separate thread in the ROTS forum for this build. I will continue to update this one once more materials arrive.

DarthVoltron

Post by DarthVoltron »

First suit-up in the Keep-Trooping soft parts, with Crow-Props gloves and boots, and Endor Armor pike. I've got a pretty good system down with the magnets so that the robes hang tightly off the helmet.

Now I just need to make the thing wearable for more than 5 minutes. I've purchased a couple of fans from Henry's Helmet Fans. I think I'll try to use some form of the rubber tubing pipes to get air into the helmet.

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Post by ugcspawn »

i use 2 small dc fans in my Rubies with the powerbank on my belt, paired with a cooling vest (with icepack)

DarthVoltron

Post by DarthVoltron »

ugcspawn wrote: ↑Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:03 pm i use 2 small dc fans in my Rubies with the powerbank on my belt, paired with a cooling vest (with icepack)
How long does the cooling vest last for you?

iceknyght
TKID: 81175

Post by iceknyght »

ugcspawn wrote: ↑Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:03 pm i use 2 small dc fans in my Rubies with the powerbank on my belt, paired with a cooling vest (with icepack)
My setup is similar, two fans in my Rubies, but I have the powerbank in the bucket as well. I also have a cheap ice/gel pack vest, which does not last very long for me (maybe about 30 minutes to an hour), but, even so, still makes a big difference overall. I have done troops with and without the gel packs and there was definitely a temperature difference by the end!

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Post by ugcspawn »

DarthVoltron wrote: ↑Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:09 pm
How long does the cooling vest last for you?
It was my first run with the vest this past w-e. The gel pouch were frozen solid, and after an hour standing still and a bit of walking after that, they were back to a gel consistency but still cold. Around 3 hours max i'd say. Could not fit all 6 pouch underneath my inner robe, only 4 (2 front, 2 back). But the kit I bough came with multiple pouchs, so I could swap thm over and over for a full day I think. It's really a game changer for our costume.

Another member of our garrison has a long sleeve vest with an integrated fan in it. He had to make some spacers so it doesn't suck the cloth of the robe, but he's quite happy with it. Maybe less cold than my set-up, but air comes out at the neck opening, so it vent the bucket as well.

DarthVoltron

Post by DarthVoltron »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The eponymous Henry from Henry's Helmet Fans sent me the STL files for adapters that should allow me to run tubing into the mask. I'm going to go for that, plus the vest and hopefully that will be enough.

...and of course I still need to get this thing approved, but I'm expecting that to be easier than last time.