Work for the Workhorse: ROTJ Guard Build with Some Questions

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Workhorse
TKID: 30417

Work for the Workhorse: ROTJ Guard Build with Some Questions

Post by Workhorse »

Hello Imperial Elite! Been a bit since I posted, but I figured an update is in order since I don't do regular build thread type posts. Given the current state of affairs in the world, I figured being stuck at home is the perfect time to be working on my suits and making at least decent headway on them before things open back up.

As you can see below, I've fully printed, sanded and painted my helmet using the darthrith 3D files on CGTrader (Support the dude if you have a printer, they're great and the files are like $5) and I'm currently in the process of designing and printing my own full Force Pike in Fusion360. For all intents and purposes, I'm calling the hard armor and weapons for this suit essentially done.

https://imgur.com/a/2oPpHex (The helmet)

Now, the hard part: the fabric. I will admit I am not experienced AT ALL in the world of sewing, but thankfully I have a good teacher. I'm currently working with the head of my University's Theater Department to help draft, plan, and sew the robes; she's both helping make them herself as well as teaching me the methods to do things like this on my own in the future. I also have a full setup for sewing, including multiple machines all with walking foots, but if anyone has recommendations for the sewing process please let me know.

The issue I'm facing is color, on more than one front. I ordered Giovanni's (CrowProps) Imperial Guard Suede Set and I must admit I'm thoroughly impressed. Fit is perfect, the pieces are comfortable, and they definitely look the part. One problem: the gloves seem too dark. I've tried every burgundy, wine, cranberry, and ruby fabric color out there, and the gloves are too red for them; if anything they look more garnet/scarlet than the burgundy they were supposed to be.

https://imgur.com/a/tltfO0l (the references for what I'm using as well as the boot/glove combo)

TO CLARIFY, this is not me saying don't buy from him. Giovanni has been a fantastic guy to work with, his prices are insanely reasonable, and for having to do international shipping he's incredibly forgiving and willing to work with you. I've had nothing but praise for him in the past and have not had a reason to say otherwise yet. I am merely stating that I think there might have been a miscommunication in whoever he bought from in stating that the suede was burgundy, which is wholly likely considering how close some shades could get. I have tried to contact him, but given the situation we're all going through I'm more focused on him being safe and healthy than answering my piddly question about glove color. Given that, I think this is the perfect time to learn to make gloves, and given that the CRL says suede or cloth, you can be sure I'll be grabbing some good burgundy cloth real soon.

Last couple things: The velvet sets I'm using are good, really good. They look and feel nice, I'm happy with their prices (though a discount here or there doesn't hurt), and they have enough for me to order for this insanely long design. Having said that, below are the links to both the velvet sets I'm using. If anyone has used these before and has been rejected for them,
*******PLEASE LET ME KNOW*********.
I am a stereotypical broke college student ordering this on money I made from a small side venture where most of my money goes to charity anyway, while also budgeting out for another suit in hopes of creating a new CRL for it soon. I do not want to order 24 yards of very good, moderately expensive velvet and have to send all of it back because it couldn't clear the aCRL submission.

The Burgundy: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0680358/110- ... t-burgundy

The Outer Red (far darker in the photo than IRL): https://www.fabric.com/buy/0583335/royal-velvet-red

I know this has been a long post but I didn't want to leave anything unhandled. This is a new type of suit for me and I want it to be one befitting the best the Empire's got. If any of you have questions or points, whether it be how I made things, recommendations on sizing, discount codes, fit and finish, etc. please do not hesitate to PM me or respond to this post. Good luck out there everybody, stay safe and healthy

-Workhorse :tr:

FO3Winger

Re: Work for the Workhorse: ROTJ Guard Build with Some Quest

Post by FO3Winger »

While I can’t really help with everything else especially the color as I’m colorblind as a mf. To me, that helmet turned out great looking. Good luck with your build! And I’m interested in hearing more about the new crl outfit.

Workhorse

Post by Workhorse »

FO3Winger wrote:While I can’t really help with everything else especially the color as I’m colorblind as a mf. To me, that helmet turned out great looking. Good luck with your build! And I’m interested in hearing more about the new crl outfit.
Glad you liked it! I try to sink a lot of time into my printed parts to make them look their best, and since I'm now using a different, more durable plastic I imagine they'll only get better. The new CRL is not for the Protectors (though I know there are people looking at the Ep. 9 Guards) but once it's done and hopefully submitted I'll try and post about it in one of the "Miscellaneous boards. Good luck on your own projects and stay safe out there!

FO3Winger

Post by FO3Winger »

Workhorse wrote:
FO3Winger wrote:While I can’t really help with everything else especially the color as I’m colorblind as a mf. To me, that helmet turned out great looking. Good luck with your build! And I’m interested in hearing more about the new crl outfit.
Glad you liked it! I try to sink a lot of time into my printed parts to make them look their best, and since I'm now using a different, more durable plastic I imagine they'll only get better. The new CRL is not for the Protectors (though I know there are people looking at the Ep. 9 Guards) but once it's done and hopefully submitted I'll try and post about it in one of the "Miscellaneous boards. Good luck on your own projects and stay safe out there!
Sounds good man, look forward to seeing it, y’all be safe too. Strange times.

OCD_Chad
TKID: 56868

Post by OCD_Chad »

I like that helmet. How much does it weigh?

Workhorse

Post by Workhorse »

I don't have a scale I can weigh it on, but with everything in and compared to my free weights it feels around 5 pounds. This is pretty well distributed too with how I padded the crown of the head as well as the foam spacers I put around the edge of the shoulders.

OCD_Chad
TKID: 56868

Post by OCD_Chad »

Workhorse wrote:I don't have a scale I can weigh it on, but with everything in and compared to my free weights it feels around 5 pounds. This is pretty well distributed too with how I padded the crown of the head as well as the foam spacers I put around the edge of the shoulders.
What material did you print with?

Workhorse

Post by Workhorse »

PLA+ (better blend), with a thin fiberglass coating on top

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

Well and truly on your way. The colour choices look fine according to the pictures. I used double velvet bright red and its similar to your choice. The golden rule is to match all the burgundy inner robe, sash and gloves and inner lining to same colour. Gloves should be same colour if you can. The inner lining must be sewn around whole robe edges and hem so it hangs right, it will be heavy as curtains. The red boots look good to me. I've seen similar that go up to knee length but they will be ok hopefully. The helmet is thinner than mine but it looks good. It must sit tightly to shoulders without any gap. Good luck with It all. Keep posting pictures as it's only way to avoid errors.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania