Nomex Balaclava without Visor

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

dominiczou

Nomex Balaclava without Visor

Post by dominiczou »

Hi folks,

This is related to the pantyhose lens and mesh visors issue. I recently tested out wearing a black Nomex Balaclava backwards with no visor for a non-canon event. The local Society for the Physically Disabled was having their annual dinner and it so happens one of their staff was the wife of our resident clone trooper. They even offered to reimburse our transport costs but we had to say no. Even though a couple of us had wheelchairs running over our toes (a lesson for future troops where wheelchairs are likely).

Back to the (non)visor, it seems the eyes don't show up, even under flash. So it should be good so long as there isn't too much ambient lighting coming in horizontally. Breathing was OK, visibility OK, no fogging. Heat was not a problem as this was indoors. I'll test this system with my helmet fans outdoors within a couple of weeks.

Only problem now is that the insides of the helmet might become visible. Maybe I should paint the insides black (they're currently this off-white fibreglass hue, it being a DP).

The "worst" photo, showing bits of the inside, for your viewing and criticisms:

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Nomex Balaclava without Visor

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

i would maybe go for a mesh speaker look. That way to keep with the solid look of a visor. The only thing i see with not having the visor look to it. It take away from the costume total look. It would be like seeing the eyes of the TK or a vader with no lenses.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Jedi_Outcast77

Post by Jedi_Outcast77 »

I agree with LT. The ability to have a way to provide airflow into the helmet is great but the gap left behind takes away from the mask when looking at it from any angle other than head on.
Mike - 501st NEG IC-7796
Walk Now for Autism Research 2009 - Team Brunco
http://www.freewebs.com/teambrunco

dominiczou

Post by dominiczou »

Will look into the mesh speaker possibility, but that kinda "duplicates" the mesh. And removing duplication might mean leaving the eyes visible to photoflash. Hmm.

I could velcro a clear red visor for the "full" look, I suppose. So you get that canon look of a clear red visor but when you look in close, there's still a void. But that leads to fogging.

Which my two newly-installed fans should be able to clear up ... or can they?

Ah ... decisions, decisions ...