Fabric Selection...

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

jcgardea

Fabric Selection...

Post by jcgardea »

Hi all,
I am beginning my Royal Guard build, and I've some problems selecting the correct fabric. The CRL on the 501st specifies for velvet... but the velvet I've found seems nothing like the movies. And I've found there are several type of velvet.

Now I know the correct velvet is 100% cotton velvet or 20oz. Cotton velour. But I have not been to find it here in Mexico.

So if some one could help me out to choose between what I've found I will be very thankful.

I've found 2 types of velvet. Which are actually velveteen.
"Crystal velvet" which is polyester, really shiny, really soft, "slightly furry" , plus they look quite dark, Unless it is under direct sunlight.

You can see in this picture how dark it can look, depending on lighting.
Image Image

Here is a zoom of the pile length. Quite furry and smooth
Image Image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or "synthetic velvet" which is more matte looking, but it very very "short haired", and thus has a feel kinda like suede or micro fiber. But it is very very light and polyester back lining which is kind of plasticky, I'm afraid it does not drop or drape properly as it may be to light.

Image Image
Here is a zoom of the pile length. Very short and light, but dense.
Image Image
Image Image

Here's a comparison of the two next to each other, sheen, pile, and nap...

So which should I use? The crystal one or the synthetic one ... Considering I am looking for 501st approval.
Apparently Fabric stores don't have the correct type , and I think I should be looking into Upholstery shops.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Fabric Selection...

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Stay away from anything that is a crush velvet "halloween costume feel"
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

jcgardea

Re: Fabric Selection...

Post by jcgardea »

I'm definitely not using crushed velvet.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "halloween"... You mean like really shiny?
That's why I am asking everybody's opinion, I know it must have some sheen, otherwise what's the point of using velvet?

Does the crystal would be ok, eventhough it is a little shiny and dark?
Or am I better off with the Synthetic one that is almost completely matte?

Regards,