New ROTJ Build

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

dwdj75
TKID: 79994

Re: New ROTJ Build

Post by dwdj75 »

Another question !

Is Gabardine still acceptable for the inner robes ?

I am still looking at burgundy velveteen, but as I am in Texas, I can't help but to think gabardine might be a better option.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

The inner robe for ROTJ should be velvet. The CRL was recently updated so I had to check it myself to be sure. :D As to whether velveteen would be acceptable, I'd get word from an expert.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TR_rotj

Inner Robes
For 501st approval:
Burgundy or wine coloured velvet cloth thawb, hemmed slightly shorter than the outer cloak. The hem should be no more than 3 inches off the ground.

I'd personally suggest getting cotton velvet for the inner robe, sash, and outer robe lining. It's a good bit more expensive than synthetic, but can be machine washed without problem. Your inner robe will be sweaty/damp and being able to chuck it into the washing machine is so much better than dry cleaning the synthetic stuff.

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

I received some swatches and wanted share with ya'll !

Without flash
With flash
Outside under direct sunlight
Last edited by dwdj75 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

Boots sans buckles, and trimmed !

Last edited by dwdj75 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

My Rubies Supreme arrived ! :trsuit:

Last edited by dwdj75 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

It really doesn't look like it in the pics but the motorcycle visor is red !

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

Narrowed my inner robes to two options.

On the left is burgundy velveteen on the right is burgundy cotton velvet. Which one pops out at you all ?

With out flash

With flash

Outdoors

Last edited by dwdj75 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

Maybe just lighting in the pic, but that MC lens looks a bit like a mirror. ROTJ visor is not supposed to be mirrored, according to the latest CRL. I believe the old one allowed it, but the new one specifically says no mirrored visor. It's unfortunate, because it seems like mirror tinting was the go-to way of keeping yourself hidden without having to darken your own view too much.

You might try just adding some red tint onto that original lens, and see how that works out. That combined with the light smoke that it already has would likely be enough to prevent your face from showing through.

For the fabric, the velveteen doesn't look very dark in the first two pictures. Maybe you could photograph them next to your outer crimson for contrast?

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

The pictures don't work for me at work it seems, so I'm just providing feedback based on what's written.

The outer robe material should be crimson red and the inner robe and outer lining should be burgundy or wine colored.

For the visor you have several options, but cannot be mirror tinted. Smoke or red tinting is acceptable, and could be done with non-mirrored window tint or by dying the visor itself. There are several ways it could be dyed, and can be explored if interested in that route.

The easiest route would be to find something already dyed (motorcycle visor, football visor, etc.). Barring that, the window tint would probably be the easiest route. If you have a car window tinting shop they often sell cut-offs/remnants (you don't need a lot). Smoke tint shouldn't be too hard to find at a car place, the red might be harder to find. It is fairly simple to install with water and soap mixture.

Dying plastic is a bit more complicated as you need heat (generally the softer you make the plastic the more dye it can suck up) but not so much heat that you melt/marr/disfigure the visor. It may also take 2, 3, or more dyes baths to get it to the right darkness. If you can't get it dyed dark enough, could always add window tint to it after the fact.

dwdj75

Post by dwdj75 »

Okay here we go !

No flash

Flash

Sunlight
Last edited by dwdj75 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.