TKID: 10565

Re: Canadian ROTJ

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

I'll have to see if I can grab some tickets then!!! :tr: :trsuit:

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

As far as the bucket, what does everyone use for cooling/oxygen cause I get the feeling it'd be difficult to breathe in there.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

There's a couple of options that people use.

Leave a small gap (size of a small washer) between the visor and the helmet. This will facilitate air exchange. Not a lot, but it's the best you get in a helmet that is otherwise completely sealed.

In addition to the above, fans.
  • Most either put fans inside the helmet, or build a fan system to shuttle air in. Fans inside the helmet can help, but will take up space in an already limited area.
  • Several I've seen have put fans around their back/waist on a pack under the velvet, but I personally found it doesn't move enough air or fresh air into the helmet. The fans are trying to suck air through 2 or 3 layers of velvet which after a while gets warm and sweaty.
  • Personally, I picked up two fans and velcro them (1 when outdoors, 2 when indoors) around the inside of my knees and then tube the air up into the helmet. This helps on several fronts: 1) facilitates air movement into the bottom of the robe, which any air circulation when standing still helps keep the legs cool; and 2) the fresher outside air brought under the robe gets pulled up into the helmet. This helps keep the humidity down as well which will keep the visor from fogging up.
I really like my setup. It works well enough that my head and legs are generally comfortable, even on a ridiculously hot and muggy Ottawa day, but keeps the visor from fogging up. When indoors, I'll use two fans/tubes (one goes up and blows up around my chin towards the visor, the other goes over my head and blows air down towards the visor) which works amazingly well. I've got some information in my WiP, but can post photos if there aren't any there.

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

cooldevo wrote:There's a couple of options that people use.

Leave a small gap (size of a small washer) between the visor and the helmet. This will facilitate air exchange. Not a lot, but it's the best you get in a helmet that is otherwise completely sealed.

• Most either put fans inside the helmet, or build a fan system to shuttle air in. Fans inside the helmet can help, but will take up space in an already limited area.
  • Several I've seen have put fans around their back/waist on a pack under the velvet, but I personally found it doesn't move enough air or fresh air into the helmet. The fans are trying to suck air through 2 or 3 layers of velvet which after a while gets warm and sweaty.
  • Personally, I picked up two fans and velcro them (1 when outdoors, 2 when indoors) around the inside of my knees and then tube the air up into the helmet. This helps on several fronts: 1) facilitates air movement into the bottom of the robe, which any air circulation when standing still helps keep the legs cool; and 2) the fresher outside air brought under the robe gets pulled up into the helmet. This helps keep the humidity down as well which will keep the visor from fogging up.
I really like my setup. It works well enough that my head and legs are generally comfortable, even on a ridiculously hot and muggy Ottawa day, but keeps the visor from fogging up. When indoors, I'll use two fans/tubes (one goes up and blows up around my chin towards the visor, the other goes over my head and blows air down towards the visor) which works amazingly well. I've got some information in my WiP, but can post photos if there aren't any there.
Could you maybe PM me a pic of that so I can reference it? Also sent you a PM about OCC.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Depending on the event, I've usually found it easier to just go with an under armour beanie to keep the sweat out of my eyes and make sure I take frequent breaks.

You have to control your breathing and learn to exhale in a way that forces air out the bottom of the helmet, but it can be done

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:
cooldevo wrote:There's a couple of options that people use.

Could you maybe PM me a pic of that so I can reference it? Also sent you a PM about OCC.
A read of this thread should give you a better idea:
http://www.forcepike.net/forum/viewtopi ... =34&t=1036

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

IVLIANVS wrote: A read of this thread should give you a better idea:
http://www.forcepike.net/forum/viewtopi ... =34&t=1036
Now that's an idea, might have to check my local hardware stores, thank God for tax season lol, now I've got a bit of a safety net for shipping and such for the parts of my costume and I can hopefully get this thing off the drawing board.

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Hoping to at least order my boots and gloves from IB tonight. Also been looking around and absolutely no seamstresses in my county. :( :( So, I was hoping that a tailor I kind of know would take a stab at the robes, everyone's thoughts on this? While we're on the subject, does anybody have any close ups with their inner robe, I was hoping to give my tailor something to go off of visually.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:Hoping to at least order my boots and gloves from IB tonight. Also been looking around and absolutely no seamstresses in my county. :( :( So, I was hoping that a tailor I kind of know would take a stab at the robes, everyone's thoughts on this? While we're on the subject, does anybody have any close ups with their inner robe, I was hoping to give my tailor something to go off of visually.
For pictures, the best bet is NOT to use another member. I'd suggest scouring the ROTJ episode or find online screenshot of a robe you like. The CRL has somewhat recently changed so a robe approved under an older CRL may not be approvable with the new requirements.

The parts you don't see much if anything (gloves, sash, inner robe) can be done using other member or CRL images as there isn't a lot to go on from the movies.

If you can find a screen used references, and can match that up to acceptable materials, you shouldn't be able to be denied. But even then, as a safe bet, post pictures when you have fittings and feedback can be provided from the experts here before the robe is completed and a mistake was noted.

That's my two cents. The CRL is supposed to represent screen accurate costuming, so if it was seen on a canon source IMHO it should be approvable.

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

The pictures in the CRL, and screenshots from the movies, are about as good as you can get for visual references. Along with the written descriptions, should be enough. After all, these are what your approval will be based off of. :mrgreen:

FWIW, I have to go three counties away to find a seamstress. That's a 2 hour drive one way. I assume Canadian counties aren't much different in size than U.S. Counties? The guy I found to do my boots is just as far. I thought it was kind of funny, living in the middle of cowboy country, that I had to go that far to find someone who could make what is essentially a Roper style boot. Plenty of saddle makers and other leather workers around, but no one seems to own boot lasts, anymore.