New Build

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Tufty

New Build

Post by Tufty »

Hi all.

Prospective guardsman in the UK here. I've always loved the Royal Guards and I'm slightly too narcissistic to want to be a faceless Stormtrooper but not quite self-confident enough to have my face on show, so I figure being a faceless (but very distinctive) Crimson Guard would suit me.

I've been in touch with Kamino Customs regarding my bucket so I'm now turning my attention to the robes. My background is in historical costuming but I don't know how confident I'd be modifying and making a robe myself. I could have a bash at it, but before I do has anyone had any contact with custom-props on eBay? I've seen a couple of other sellers but they don't seem to be as accurate as the 501st requests and requires, but as far as I can tell custom-props is pretty decent:
Image Image

Do we think this would be alright for approval?

I've also been looking at boots. I have distressingly large feet so even my everyday shoes need to be custom-made; I note that Imperial Boots only go up to a size 10 UK, so does anyone have any tips as to where I can get some?

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Re: New Build

Post by Cybermew3 »

I can't see the pictures sorry, but from memory CP seems to be the same style of work as Fenix Props (same person/similiar area or something, can't remember)?

I would honestly have a go on cheaper fabric, then if happy with results, source the velvet and complete yourself (or with a seamstress locally). Once finished paint helmet to match.

I'm still dissapointed with my Fenix Props robes, just not the look I was really after (shape and flow). At least this way you control it.

Boots, I guess you could go to Gio:

http://crowprops.bigcartel.com/product/royal-g-boot

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Cybermew is correct that the style is the same as the old FP robes... There are many resources here that will likely get you better robes, and won't cost you a heck of a lot more other than your time to make them

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Thanks for that lads. I lurked a bit and it seems that McCalls 2810 Evening Gown is the pattern most people are modifying, so I'll try and get my hands on one of them.

In the meantime I'll get onto the underrobe. A kaftan is definitely something I can do!