Cheap and effective Helmet Stand

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Cheap and effective Helmet Stand

Post by Darth Skellington »

So today I purchased a helmet stand for my Royal Guard helmet.....by improvising. There are a number of ways to obtain a helmet stand......make one out of pvc pipe, wood dowels and plywood, buying an actual stand ($$$). I'd planned on building one. Then it occurred to me. Buy a floor lamp. At work a couple months ago, a built about 20 different floor lamps.....they have everything you need: a sturdy, round, weighted base.......a sturdy post...and even a pommel to balance the helmet on!

So.....on my lunch break I picked up a Room Essentials floor lamp at Target for only $8.99. It comes in black (074-02-0411) or silver, and for $12.99 you cold buy similar lamps with a reading light attached that come in a variety of colors like blue and pink (I saw these online, but they are sold in stores only).

Anyway, all you have to do is pull the power cord out of the metal poles and you're ready to make a stand. You can either cut the wires, and then pull them out (takes about 30 seconds), or you can unscrew the light socket, unscrew the wires from the socket, and then pull the cord free undamaged and perfectly reusuable (takes about 2 minutes).

What you get:

1 black metal (or silver) round base weighted with sand
1-2 pole lengths, depending on your desired height
1 housing for light bulb/shade (makes your pommel for the helmet to rest on)

I've found that two poles is a good height that really makes the helmet stand out. One pole also works, just barely tall enough to hold a South American helmet (it keeps the helmet floating mere centimeters above the surface of the table). With one pole, the base is nearly invisible.

The pommel I plan on covering with foam, or possibly just a black sock to add just a little padding. While there is nothing for it to scratch, the sound of a metal edge running cross fibre-glass makes me cringe. The padding will just give me peace of mind, especially since the main purpose of the stand is to protect the helmet first, then display it.

Anyway, I wanted to share this since it cost almost nothing and took about 5 mintues to assemble. :)

Warren
Skel

Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

fraxster

Re: Cheap and effective Helmet Stand

Post by fraxster »

Great!
It was the most usefull tip I got this rainy day.
Thank you, I´ll raid the lampstores in Stockholm this lunch-hour.
A job well done is the best pillow.

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Interesting! Clever idea, I must go try this. . .

:shadow:
Jonathan 'Squirrel' Cardin
TX-4361 FL Garrison, Tampa Bay Sq.
Building a ROTS Guard. . .

dominiczou

Post by dominiczou »

If elegance is not an issue, you could just get a Fniss wastebasket from IKEA, and turn it upside down. Comes in Clear, Black, and ... Red, of course.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90096418

Only US$1.99/-.

psujedi27
TKID: 2398

Post by psujedi27 »

I'll have pics soon to show of my new helmet stand. I garrison mate and neighbor of mine made a stand for his TK bucket and incorporated the the Imperial Cog on the base. He is making one for my bucket that is taller and has the helmet artwork from our current t-shirt run as the base. I'm not sure if he is going to put this into production for sale because of the amount of time and detail involved with the woodworking.
Andrew Marzka
Garrison Carida Merchandising Team
TR/SL/TX/TR/ID 2398

"An Imperial Guard never seeks special privileges. Ever. His entire goal in life is to serve the Emperor, and the New Order he created. His goal in life, and his desire in death." - Major Tierce