Help with links to build stuff please!

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Cheftrooper

Help with links to build stuff please!

Post by Cheftrooper »

Hey all!

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right spot, someone feel free to let me know if it's the wrong spot. I'm just curious if someone coulsd help me out with where to find some good instruction-type pages to help build my Royal Guard costume? I'm able to find the requirements for what the costume needs, just not any good pages for HOW to build the various aspects, especially if I want to build the helmet and body armor from scratch. I have some experience with tools and materials and such, but I'm also kindof learning as I go, so nothing too hardcore would be a good thing. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Edit: Also, personal anecdotes, things to avoid, or personal experience stories greatly apprecitaed as well.

TK9115
TKID: 0

Re: Help with links to build stuff please!

Post by TK9115 »

Hi mate,

Depends where you want to start. Some good tutorials on here for the pike.

Lids- usually pop up on ebay rather than scratch built. Dont know of anyone supplying them at the moment other than in S. America.

As for body armour, I'd go the ice hockey underarmour/shoulders rather than full TK bells and chest.

Nearly all builds on here are self taught and researched and shared for the greater good- not as easy as for A do this, for B do that. The various threads for material and sharing useful patterns is good.

Good luck!!
Craig

Craig 'TK9115' Johnson
UKG Royal Guard Armourer

'Loyalty Never Dies!'

Cheftrooper

Post by Cheftrooper »

Hi mate, back!
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye on Ebay, since I was thinking that the lid would be the toughest part for me. As for the tutorials on different parts, I'll keep digging on the different threads. Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,
Chef
TK9115 wrote:Hi mate,

Depends where you want to start. Some good tutorials on here for the pike.

Lids- usually pop up on ebay rather than scratch built. Dont know of anyone supplying them at the moment other than in S. America.

As for body armour, I'd go the ice hockey underarmour/shoulders rather than full TK bells and chest.

Nearly all builds on here are self taught and researched and shared for the greater good- not as easy as for A do this, for B do that. The various threads for material and sharing useful patterns is good.

Good luck!!

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

Hi! There are currently no good patterns for outer robes. I recommend following some of the discussion about the types of robes, and then get help on fleshing out your own robes...or hire someone to make them for you. If you want to do AOTC, I can help walk you through how I made mine.

For the underrobes, a Vietnamese Ao Dai pattern is your best bet...although many other patterns can be modified.

No one sculpts their own helmet. Okay, well, one guy did, and it looks awesome...be he's certifiably insane/ a genius. :P I highly recommend a South American helmet..they have more room inside than a Don Post...I find those very claustrophobic. I also don't like the vinyl DPs are made out of...they warp and give the helmet a funny shape. You might be able to find some custom modified and or hard cast helmets on ebay as well.

What kind of body armor do you want? Crimson Empire armor can be bought from various costume makers..it's a matter of finding a sculpt you like. You can also make your own. Force Unleashed guards use armor that is the same as other armor out there (stormtrooper, Jango, etc). You could snag some of that from their respective detachments...then paint it to meet your needs. The average guard, however, does not have armor, unless you want to wear some sort of shoudler pad/armor to broaden your shoulders. You can wear Crimson Empire armor under any robes though, although for canon events you may want a standard robe costume to fall back on.

So....the first question is....what kind of Royal Guard do you want to do?
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

BobaFett907
TKID: 13301

Post by BobaFett907 »

I am working on a build myself. I found Crimson Velvet at https://www.buyfabrics.com/p23057_crims ... mith-01837 and for the robe pattern, I found McCalls 8936 to be the closest pattern I could find. I got a Rubies bucket. From other posters, they have said that was the only good thing to come out of Rubies. I have to take it to an auto body shop and have them give it another coat of paint. As far as the boots and gloves, I found a combo deal at ImperialBoots.com. The tunic, sash, and rope are still hard to find. I am open to suggestions as where and what to use instead of what I have already listed.

Starwarsgeek18
TKID: 10565

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Good spot for lids imo is LA. Luke's work looks outstanding and to boot he's a 501st member, so you've got that working in your favor. Price actually isn't too bad for the quality, if you want I could link you to the FB group. :tr: :tr2: :trsuit:

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

There are some good vendors on the forums here too, in the buy/sell section. I bought a kit, but you can also buy finished helmets. Most work on runs, so there may be a bit of a wait until the run fills up.

delabane

Post by delabane »

Hello,

I also got a Rubies helmet got it from here https://www.amazon.com/Adult-Supreme-Im ... B005N50XUO

Still waiting for it to turn up. Going to be doing a Shadow Guard so it will be painted black. I am also getting some armour, its not easy to find and you generally have to get it made.

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

For the underrobe it is a thawb pattern.
The Vietnamese Ao Dai pattern is wrong. The underrobe has no slits on the side.