Modifying the outer robes

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Modifying the outer robes

Post by Crimson8 »

My costume is almost complete apart from outer robe I purchased but its a bit short off ground especially when I add shoulder pads - perhaps 4 inches out.

I think the outer robe looks great but it is off the ground a bit higher than CRLs regulation I think. Is it possible to somehow lengthen it without breaching regulations. I know a hem added to bottom of robe is out of the question because it would not look right, but I thought perhaps the top of the robe could be modified to a few inches longer - the part that is hidden by the helmet that is.

Advice gladly appreciated.

Heres the robe length
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Modifying the outer robes

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

This is a movie still from AOTC

Can you give a front shot proper of the costume.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Heres the costume without the shoulder pads.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

This shows the arms beneath with gloves

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

There isn't a CRL requirement to have shoulder pads. If you don't have them in, does it fall within the requirement of "not more than 1 inch off the ground"? What is your goal with the shoulder pads? Is it for cosmetic appearances? Or is there something specific you are trying to do with them?

The top of the robe can probably be altered in places that are covered by the helmet. Just keep in mind that things can and will shift as you walk around and do things like action shots. You don't want to end up having it shift and showing off a gap or an alteration in your robes as it will be very noticeable.

My personal recommendation might be to see if you can tweak/alter the shoulders of the outer robe to bring them in a bit and make them more form-fitting onto your shoulders. There's no requirement to have really broad/big shoulders, but if you can bring them in a bit to fit your build better it would give an improved overall look, and might allow you to not need the shoulder pads (again unless you need them). Just my 0.02 cents.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered new material to make a new cloak but if would mean perhaps respraying the helmet as reds differ so much in velvet I have seen. It's very hard to modify the outer robe due to the way it sits o shoulders. Shoulder pads help to give the robe a look as though here were armour beneath and looks bigger and better. The length is quite high off ground and should be 1 inch according to CRL. That's the only part I need to focus on now.

Crimson8

Post by Crimson8 »

Does anyone know how the side pieces attaché to the outer robe? If so can they send advice please. I've finished outer robe back and front is getting arm slits put in as photos indicate but where do side pieces attaché?

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

This is probably the best AOTC pattern that is available. The second picture shows how the two pieces should overlap.

http://forcepike.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1977

The picture of the Royal Guard in the top picture shows a good indication of how it should sit. The front looks to overlap the back piece.