Glaive technology can work (in universe)

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Glaive technology can work (in universe)

Post by Darth Skellington »

Okay, so when it comes to glaives, there's always a bit of a stretch of the imagination.

Why? In most pictures, it is quite obvious that the blades are much bigger than teh hilt they came out of. It is quite physically impossible for the blades to retract into a hilt that small.

You can chalk this up to artistic license. When it comes to building props, there is no way to retract a blade into the hilt , unless you make the blade straight. Some people have done this.

Now, I've never been able to make sense of this, even "in universe" with Star Wars technology. It just doesn't add up.

Then it occurred to me that might retract in 2-3 stages. Anyone seen the new Star Trek movie? Remember Sulu's unfolding Katana? That got me thinking. I don't expect glaives to "unfold" or "unravel" the way his Katana does.

But, maybe they might slide out straight (as depicted in the comics), as a narrow blade that will fit within the hilt. Then the wide portion of the blade will slide out from within the straight part of the blade in either one or two stages. Thus, allowing the blade to retract into the hilt, but still maintain the large scalpel-like shape we've come to know and love, when in it's extended form.

Works for me. What do you think? Anyone else have any theories on how glaives might work "in-universe"?

Warren
Skel

And if I've cmpletely confused all of you, let me know and I'll draw a sketch.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Glaive technology can work (in universe)

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

How about this Skel as an idea?
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

Well, I'm just hypothesizing about how they might work in the Star Wars Universe. There's no explanation on how they work there, let alone how they might work in the real world.

Yep, those are the straight blades I mentioned. :trsuit: For anyone wanting to do these, please understand that these metal blades will NOT be allowed at any convention. If you make one of these, it will be to decorate your wall, not to troop with.

Yeah, my theory is that in the SW universe, the blade would extend as a small straight blade not unlike the photo Lucious posted. Then the blade would extend out sideways from that creating the scalpel shape.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

Commander George

Post by Commander George »

Mmm... not a bad concept. :wow:

Sounds kinda like those telescopic batons used by police and security guards (actually, you can see Ray Park wielding a pair in "Fanboys"), but the shape would be flat instead of round...

Commander George
Mexican Garrison

:jax:
"As you said, Kanos... pick up your weapon and FIGHT!"

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

In theory, that idea would work. you could even do it in real life. If you got the right kind of springs, and good plastic. . .
:shadow:
Jonathan 'Squirrel' Cardin
TX-4361 FL Garrison, Tampa Bay Sq.
Building a ROTS Guard. . .

Commander George

Post by Commander George »

Squirrel wrote:In theory, that idea would work. you could even do it in real life. If you got the right kind of springs, and good plastic. . .
:shadow:
Actually, the new toy Wolverine claws would seem to follow this approach...
Attachments
wolverine-claws-to_1296850i.jpg
wolverine-claws-to_1296850i.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 15368 times
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

:jax:
"As you said, Kanos... pick up your weapon and FIGHT!"