Gabardine For Cloak?

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

TR2303

Gabardine For Cloak?

Post by TR2303 »

hello all,

i'd read from another site that velvet or a material called gabardine was the best choices for cloak/ robe material. i take it as this is the stuff?

http://www.calicolaine.co.uk/popup_imag ... b33b1d013a (listed as gabardine)

can anyone confirm if its up to 501st standards or have used it in their own suit? if so i'm placing an order next week as its a third of the price i've been finding velvet at. and i'm not spending 160 quid on material in case i eff it up....

any help apppreciated

sean

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Gabardine For Cloak?

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Gabardine is not acceptable as fabric for the robes
Crushed Velvet is not acceptable as fabric for the robes

Triple Velvet or Velveteen is acceptable for fabric on the robes
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

TR2303

Post by TR2303 »

i have also encountered a material called stretch velvet which has the same characteristics and finish but can (obviously enough) stretch slightly. is this acceptable.

also can anyone help me with details of any UK velvet suppliers (especially the burgandy)

sean

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

I spoke with Lucious about stretch velvet (he's driving to a troop in Houston right now).

We agree that while stretch velvet is probably acceptable, it is not recommended. The reason is that stretch velvet is very unforgiving, both for the wearer, and for whomever sews it. Previous guards on the old boards have stated the difficulty of trying to sew this material accurately. Also, it tends to cling to your body, and if it isn't made with enough loose material, will give the impression of wearing spandex.

It would probably be all right for your inner robes. But I suspect it would turn out not so well when used for the outer cloak.

Any other guards out there have experience with stretch velvet?
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.