My progress

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

shivana

My progress

Post by shivana »

Hi!

Step by step I'm creating my own Royal Guard costume and I would like to present my progress. I appreciate opinions/suggestions/criticism/help :-)

I've started with a part which is not really necessary: Neck seal. I wanted to start doing something while waiting for patterns and fabrics and get used to my sewing machine again after some years of sewing abstinence.

My neck seal consists of two parts which will be attached to each other with velcro strips. So it's easy to wash the parts separately and also to replace one part and reuse the other.

Finished.

Next step is to buy some fabrics for a mock. I will use the IKEA one to get used to velvet because it's not my favourite fabrics to work with. Then I have to modify my my patterns and finally sew the mock and hope for the best :-)

Marcus
TKID: 3977

Re: My progress

Post by Marcus »

That looks great!

shivana

Post by shivana »

Thank you :)

shivana

Post by shivana »

Some updates:

Did my first cut. Yeah!
Front and back parts of the outer one are cut. They have a proper length so I will decide later how long the robe will be (with boots on and some shoulder pads). Next part is to change the sleeve crown. The arm seam should go down to the elbow. If you sew the parts together like they came with the pattern (McCall M5214) it will look awkward.
You will get a distracting pleat. Means the curvature has to be changed. To figure something out I will close the shoulder seams first and attach a paper model of the changed sleeve crown.

Regarding a red tinted visor (I can't find the source anymore) - can I get such visor also at a motorcycle store? Is it cheaper to buy a football visor instead? How do I cut it?

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

You should be able to find a red mirrored visor (quickly becoming a favorite among guards) at either a motorcycle shop or a football visor. To cut it, you'll need something like a Dremel.

I'll post a picture I took of the Episode 3 guard when Star Wars in Concert was touring to show how they managed to sew the pieces together... This technique can be applied to all versions of the guard (my GF used it on my Ep 2 cloak).

Marcus
TKID: 3977

Post by Marcus »

If you get desperate for a red Tinted Visor let me know and I will laminate some and mail it to you.

shivana

Post by shivana »

The last weeks I haven't posted any progress. But I'm doing things every now and then.

I've started to build a helmet a while ago. Thanks to Fierfek (Image) I got the pepakura model done, applied resin and started bondo (not seen in the picture). There are many, many, many hours of work left to make it nice. But that model is a good start and it turned out quite symmetrical so far.

I almost finished my under robe and the sash (picture later). The hem is not sewn yet. I want to wait until I get my shoes to figure out the proper length. The lining for the outer robe is kind of done. Have to wait until the helmet is finished to figure out if I want to go for shoulder padding or not. If so I keep the current shoulder length if not I have to remove some centimeters. Everything is depending on eachother. And if the lining looks ok I will cut the red pieces of the outer robe. My first outer robe version was made for a bodybuilder. I was a way to optimistical. Then next version was ok but in the end I was not satisfied with the falling folds or better no more existing folds because of the little width.

I'm still looking for gloves. All I've tried made my hands so tiny and girly. I think I give up trying to get some from a local store and order online instead.

shivana

Post by shivana »

***Edited by command***

If someone knows a trustworthy source for boots and ROTS pike please send a pm :)

DELTA 1

Help finding stuff

Post by DELTA 1 »

Ditto not sure if anyone is this deep into posts but starting my build and need pike and boots and gloves :tr: