How to tie knots and tie a rope belt

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

How to tie knots and tie a rope belt

Post by Darth Skellington »

For those interested in learning about rope belts, called cinctures, here's some info for you.

Jonah found a website that sells various religious clothing, including rope cinctures in Royal Guard colors. :) http://www.almy.com/menscassocks.html

They sell them for about $15.50 + shipping. They look very ice, and have neat little decortive knots at the ends of the rope. They come in 12 foot and 15 foot lengths. This seems a little long to me, at least for Royal Guard purposes. The rope is doubled over, so I'm thinking I would need 8-9 feet of rope at most.

Last week I stumbled across some burgandy rope in the fabric department of Walmart which I think will also work, for about $1.47 yard. Not as nice as the Almy cincture, but certainly workable. (I'll have to pick some up at a later date, I'm not sure they had enough at this particular store).

Anyway, Almy has a nice instruction page for How To Tie a Rope Cincture. It's very simple, but I'd have never guessed how on my own. You can view it here: www.almy.com/Cincture.pdf

I've also found a tutorial on how to tie those fancy nots at the end of the rope, called Barrel Knots. Barrel Knots are used in fishing and other activities, but the tutorial I found is by a friar specifically teaching how to tie it onto a cincture. It is found here: celticmonk.tripod.com/cinctureknots1.pdf

I haven't tried tying one myself, but I will after I pick up some rope at Walmart.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

TK9115
TKID: 0

Re: How to tie knots and tie a rope belt

Post by TK9115 »

I bought burgundy horse rope lead and wrapped it twice around my body (with a slight extension).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cotton-Lead-Rope- ... 240%3A1318

Fastens with a clip and loop.

Craig
Craig

Craig 'TK9115' Johnson
UKG Royal Guard Armourer

'Loyalty Never Dies!'

Darth Skellington

Cool. Another good option. :trsuit:

Jumpin Jax

Post by Jumpin Jax »

The guard is wearing a belt, not a rope.
Appears to be either a weaved leather belt dyed maroon, or a knitted cotton belt. Most certainly not rope. On the old IRG costuming site, it was thought to be a navy style white belt dyed, but the weave is more pronounced in the LFL Chronicle book.
Aside from the vintage action figure, http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?imag ... obesfr.jpg
I have no idea where this myth came from.

JJ
Red men tell no tales.

Darth Skellington

Hmm...an interesting point. Looking at the Chronicles picture, the belt could very well be a woven cotton style belt. It is definitely not woven leather. I wonder what belt, if any, they had for the Magic of Myth tour (which would not necessarily be the same as the movie used belt.)

Darth Skellington

The Chronicles photo is a tad brighter and clearer than the image from our photobucket page that I posted, but no bigger in size.