3-D printed Helmet?

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Vlade
TKID: 75233

3-D printed Helmet?

Post by Vlade »

Has anyone printed their helmet yet? I'd love to pm you and bounce some ideas off of you.

On a related note, is this helmet a good shape for a TFU Guard or ROTS guard? (Would it work for an AOTC guard?)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:349643

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: 3-D printed Helmet?

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Helmet needs to be smooth and correctly scaled to the costumer.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Vlade
TKID: 75233

Post by Vlade »

Right, any printed thing is going to take smoothing. I'm looking specifically at shoulder-to-height ratio (which I now realize I should have specified, my bad). How you scale it doesn't affect the overall proportions of the helmet though.

rambobrite
TKID: 14916
Location: Orlando, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe

Post by rambobrite »

I'm planning to 3D-print as much of my kit as possible. Fabric is still a problem...

There's a wealth of info out there about smoothing methods. I recommend trying what you go with on a smaller representative piece. ;)

Appreciate the heads-up in here about the scaling-to-fit; that's something I'd have likely encountered farther down the road otherwise.

richardmac

Post by richardmac »

Hi,
Was checking this site out and saw your topic about printing a helmet, and I just printed the same one. Thought I would show you the results I had on it.

richardmac

Post by richardmac »

tried to attach image, but will not.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

You will need to use an image hosting service such as Flickr or photobucket and link the photos to your post using the IMG tags.

richardmac

Post by richardmac »

ok, lets try this. hope it works.

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Post by Cybermew3 »

Great first attempt :D It's impressive how these printers work.

There'll be some things you want to tighten up on detail wise and fix (e.g. the length of the front, and overall sharpness, etc), however it's still an interesting project none the less and something I'd have no idea about. Look forward to seeing the results :)

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Cybermew3 wrote:Great first attempt :D It's impressive how these printers work.

There'll be some things you want to tighten up on detail wise and fix (e.g. the length of the front, and overall sharpness, etc), however it's still an interesting project none the less and something I'd have no idea about. Look forward to seeing the results :)
agreed... there are some issues with proportion and sharpness of details that need to be worked on before this would be considered approvable but it's a good start.