The interior of the helmet.....

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Brigham
TKID: 17471

Re: The interior of the helmet.....

Post by Brigham »

JesterTDA wrote:I simply have a piece of foam glued to the crown of the bucket inside (where Cabbagefarmer has his). You can't see the placement of my fans really well so I'd mocked this up awhile ago to show you where my fans sit:

I have a small computer fan (maplins) fitted in the front with switch and batteries. I also have a foggy mask (from any decent motorcycle accessory & clothing outlet) (it is actually called a "foggy mask" and it works really well by keeping your breath away from the visor.

They go about Ă‚ÂŁ12 each and come in different colours and have a Velcro pad included.
There are two possible options:
Either we're alone in this Universe, or we're not.
Both are equally frightening!!

Simon (Brigham) Young
Event Administrator ~ Scotland
Imperial Scottish Squad

Valtrexx

Post by Valtrexx »

Ok, so I am looking to begin working on a RG costume and I have been looking at the bucket shape (inside) and I'm wondering how much room there really is for fans or any way to vent the helmet itself. I have seen some people talk about washers betweeb the visor and the helmet. With the layers of robe how easy would it be to route some kind of water source (i.e camel back)? if any one has any great ideas or thoughts on this it would be great. Thank you all.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

My South American fiberglass helmet is large enough even for my massive head to have the 3 fans shown above and I don't feel completely compressed like I did with my clone helmet. I've used a camelback for a very hot July outdoor troop and it lasted for only a few minutes before I was done with it as the added thing in my face was just not worth the hassle. I've also tried using a headset but that also didn't last as I'm not going to speak with people since I can't hear a single thing so what's the point? Some people route mini air conditioning units up their costumes. I think it's a person-by-person thing...I've been outside in 90+ degree weather in the sun and yes it's hot and uncomfortable but so be it. Others might not feel the same way I do.

Darth Munchies
TKID: 51481

Post by Darth Munchies »

There's a fellow on the FISD boards, Echo, who makes squirrel cage fan kits for TK helmets. He's working on what he calls a "Fandolier" that basically goes around your body and has a tube that you can route into smaller spaces. I'm thinking for my wife's RG build we'll end up grabbing one of those kits from him when he starts selling them and try it out.

I know the fans in my TK helmet are absolute life savers and I don't know how some of the guys troop without fans. My Vader helmet actually has the fan system integrated into the structure of the helmet, covered by the dome but they do a great job of getting fresh air circulating in the helmet, and the added 3rd fan pulls in fresh air through the mouth.

If we find the fan system is not enough to keep my wife cool, we'll probably look into a personal AC unit though.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Darth Munchies wrote:My Vader helmet actually has the fan system integrated into the structure of the helmet, covered by the dome
Darthstone helmet? It's such a great mix of screen accurate and troopable.

Darth Munchies
TKID: 51481

Post by Darth Munchies »

JesterTDA wrote: Darthstone helmet? It's such a great mix of screen accurate and troopable.
Yep, I actually work with Kent to help him produce those masterpieces. I'm currently testing his V2 OT shoulder armor.

This is our latest creation for a fellow in Oklahoma.