found a mold

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

darth simi

found a mold

Post by darth simi »

I found a mold that needs some repairs for my royal imperial guard helmet. My friends at Reynolds Advance Materials show me how to fix it. I was wondering about the visor. How hard will be get one ?? And is there any way to put fan inside. So I don"t over heat ? Any advice for me ???

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: found a mold

Post by stripes »

Can you post pictures of the helmet mold before you go spending a bunch of time on a project that may not be of a useable quality for 501st membership?

darth simi

Post by darth simi »

http://s429.photobucket.com/user/rednin ... tory/12415
i dont know how to add photo... help

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I simply don't know enough about molds and the making of items to know if those are good or bad

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

But to answer your original question about the visor and fans. Visors are very easy to obtain. A lot of members use visors from football helmets which are flexible and often times colored.

I've used two different things which are very similar. I've used the flexible insert for a motorcycle helmet that snaps ($8 at a local motorcycle shop)

I've also used the face shield insert ($5-10 at local shops)

Both options I've personally used I also added window tint (once the mask is shaped and in place) so make it hard to view inside.

As for fans...those are simple. I use 3 squirrel fans powered by 9-volts.

They're attached using industrial strength velcro.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

I'd be leery about using that mold. I am not the most knowledgeable person, but that appears to be a recast from an old Don Post and it doesn't appear to be a very good quality either.

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

Without a history behind it I'd be very concerned it was a recasting thing. In my 3+ years here on the forums I've only known of one person who is casting his own helmet and I have a feeling he'd have posted his molds for sale here.

ZomBTrooper
TKID: 9381

Post by ZomBTrooper »

that looks like a shell for the mold. is there a silicon insert for it? I am in the process of doing a guard and after i am done with expanding it i will be making them to sell. Here is a pic of the helmet being expanded.