Shadow Guard Robe/Cape and Saberpike

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

MUZAK
TKID: 16005

Shadow Guard Robe/Cape and Saberpike

Post by MUZAK »

Hello everyone!
My name is João (I go by Muzak on forums :lol: ), I'm from Portugal and I just joined this forum. I'm currently building a Shadow Guard, with a RWA Creations' armor kit on the way. I'm looking for every information that can help me build the saberpike and make the robe which are the pieces that are giving me the hardest time to figure out.

Is there any pattern for the robe?
Are there any pvc pipe junctions or any other "easy-to-find" pieces that would make some good saberpike grips and emitter?

Thank you in advance!
Best regards,
Muzak :shadow:

DAK82
TKID: 26656

Re: Shadow Guard Robe/Cape and Saberpike

Post by DAK82 »

there a shop on Etsy that sells the 3d print files for the saber pike called cospl88 looks like it on a break at the mo

Jatharious
TKID: 76538

Post by Jatharious »

Salutations. Here is also another person that I can think of that does saber pikes http://chaucer44.squarespace.com/
But, this person is in the US, and I am not certain if they do international shipping.

MUZAK

Post by MUZAK »

DAK82 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:47 am there a shop on Etsy that sells the 3d print files for the saber pike called cospl88 looks like it on a break at the mo
True, they're on a break until further notice... Thanks anyway!
Jatharious wrote: ↑Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:10 pm Salutations. Here is also another person that I can think of that does saber pikes http://chaucer44.squarespace.com/
But, this person is in the US, and I am not certain if they do international shipping.
Looks incredible but the custom taxes to Portugal would cost twice the price of the saberpike... :( thank you!

Batsk
TKID: 11150

Post by Batsk »

Good news regarding the saberpike. The updated files will be posted for the detachment very soon. (The files are being donated by a very nice vendor btw.) So you have the option of printing them out yourself or asking someone with a 3D printer to print them out for you. I am going to double check with the armorer and verify that it is ok for me to host these files for the detachment/legion only use before posting a link.

As for the outer robes. I am looking for the patterns right now and there is a really nice overall setup here on the forums; however, the TFU version isn't listed. It is actually a combination of 2 different robes. Off the top of my head the only vendor that offers a correct (read alterable) outer for TFU is UTAPU Customs. Their outer needs the central split added up the back of the outer robes but is otherwise a really nice outer. Once I get the patterns together I will link them. Hope that helps.

Bat
:shadow:

MUZAK

Post by MUZAK »

Batsk wrote: ↑Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:04 pm Good news regarding the saberpike. The updated files will be posted for the detachment very soon. (The files are being donated by a very nice vendor btw.) So you have the option of printing them out yourself or asking someone with a 3D printer to print them out for you. I am going to double check with the armorer and verify that it is ok for me to host these files for the detachment/legion only use before posting a link.

As for the outer robes. I am looking for the patterns right now and there is a really nice overall setup here on the forums; however, the TFU version isn't listed. It is actually a combination of 2 different robes. Off the top of my head the only vendor that offers a correct (read alterable) outer for TFU is UTAPU Customs. Their outer needs the central split added up the back of the outer robes but is otherwise a really nice outer. Once I get the patterns together I will link them. Hope that helps.

Bat
Hello!

Thank you so much for this information.
I will be waiting for the saberpike files then! That's really good news :D
As for the robe, I found some AOTC patterns here on the forum (since that's what's referred on the CRL). It just needs the central back slit. Anyway, I appreciate it if you send me the patterns you talked about since this one I found doesn't have an official approval. Here's the link:
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3086

Thank you for your kindness, once again!

Cheers,
MUZAK :shadow:

Batsk

Post by Batsk »

Yes the pattern for ATOC will work well for the shadowguard or the TFU royal though and since the reference material even states that the outer is based on the ATOC robes then it is fine.
Even so I believe that the Rogue one pattern will work better.

Look at the image below then compare the two outer robes.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/7588c7b160a ... 3_1280.png

Let me explain. The two arm slits wrap around more towards the back with the ATOC pattern but when you look at the official renders of the character you'll notice that the two arm slits end just under the helmet. When you look at the official reference materials you'll notice that the front arm slits do not match up with the ATOC pattern and that is most likely why the official material says that the design was "Based" on that style. Rogue one came out afterwards and when you compare it to the official reference images you can see it appears to line up much more closely than the ATOC pattern would.

Take a look (click on the image to see the larger version):

The one suggestion I would like to make is that once the slit is made in the back that the top 3 to 5" be left and the place where the split ends be reinforced. 3" should be plenty to allow the outer to be hidden underneath the back of the helmet and the reinforcement will hold it together when you go into "combat ready stance."

You have 2 options when it comes to your outer robes and sewing the lining into it. Either method works. The liner can be sewn closed on all sides or left open along the bottom. If the liner is sewn closed then you will need a handler to help get some of the odd folds which happen because the liner creeps/moves and tends to hold the folds from when you move. If you leave the bottom of the liner open and properly trimmed then the outer will have a more natural "flow." and won't require as much handling to keep you looking good. The only real issue is that when you're in combat ready stance the liner may hang just a little bit too long in a couple places. (Not an issue when the robes are worn as a standard guard/draped) So each method will work and it is personal preference as to which method you choose to follow.

The reason for this is because the TFU guards are part of a digital medium and the material behaves differently there than it does in the real world. What we have to do is make the decision as to how to portray the character. You can also sew some weights into the bottom of the outer robes to help with the flow and overall appearance; however, my outer is already 35Lbs without adding those fabric weights. Regardless of the method you decide on you will need help with the front panel and getting it to sit correctly across your shoulder. What I have been doing is lifting up my helmet and then having my handler arrange the front panel over my shoulder and then we sit/clamp/push the helmet down over my head. Be aware that you will get INSANELY hot with that panel held in place that way. Then again you could sew a couple small pockets into the outer (Must be 100% hidden no stitches showing etc.) and hide some of those super strong magnets in the robe and have a couple really strong magnets hidden underneath your backplate as well. I've been thinking of doing that with mine but don't want to dig out the seam ripper.

So with all of that said I wish you the very best with your shadowguard outer robes.

MUZAK

Post by MUZAK »

Batsk wrote: ↑Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:28 pm Yes that pattern will work well for the shadowguard or the TFU royal. The one suggestion I would like to make is that once the slit is made in the back that the top 3 to 5" be left and the place where the split ends be reinforced. 3" should be plenty to allow the outer to be hidden underneath the back of the helmet and the reinforcement will hold it together when you go into "combat ready stance."

You have 2 options when it comes to your outer robes and sewing the lining into it. Either method works. The liner can be sewn closed on all sides or left open along the bottom. If the liner is sewn closed then you will need a handler to help get some of the odd folds which happen because the liner creeps/moves and tends to hold the folds from when you move. If you leave the bottom of the liner open and properly trimmed then the outer will have a more natural "flow." and won't require as much handling to keep you looking good. The only real issue is that when you're in combat ready stance the liner may hang just a little bit too long in a couple places. (Not an issue when the robes are worn as a standard guard/draped) So each method will work and it is personal preference as to which method you choose to follow.

The reason for this is because the TFU guards are part of a digital medium and the material behaves differently there than it does in the real world. What we have to do is make the decision as to how to portray the character. You can also sew some weights into the bottom of the outer robes to help with the flow and overall appearance; however, my outer is already 35Lbs without adding those fabric weights. Regardless of the method you decide on you will need help with the front panel and getting it to sit correctly across your shoulder. What I have been doing is lifting up my helmet and then having my handler arrange the front panel over my shoulder and then we sit/clamp/push the helmet down over my head. Be aware that you will get INSANELY hot with that panel held in place that way. Then again you could sew a couple small pockets into the outer (Must be 100% hidden no stitches showing etc.) and hide some of those super strong magnets in the robe and have a couple really strong magnets hidden underneath your backplate as well. I've been thinking of doing that with mine but don't want to dig out the seam ripper.

So with all of that said I wish you the very best with your shadowguard outer robes.

Thank you so much for every piece of information! Those little things that the CRL doesn't tell you. I understood everything and will follow every instruction (probably not the magnets part, I feel like I'd mess it up :lol: ). I just have one last question, I'm sorry: which fabric is better for the inner lining?

Can't thank you enough.
Cheers,

Batsk

Post by Batsk »

For the lining a high quality linen is acceptable. It needs to match the kama as much as possible though. I replied to you again and made some adjustments to the earlier recommendation. Let me know what you think.

MUZAK

Post by MUZAK »

Batsk wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm For the lining a high quality linen is acceptable. It needs to match the kama as much as possible though. I replied to you again and made some adjustments to the earlier recommendation. Let me know what you think.
I've checked and I agree with you. I might even put the arm slits even closer to the helmet to match the reference. Rogue One robes it is!
One more thing if you may, I'm sorry: Since there's no "division" on the front panel, I guess it would be better if I made that panel as a whole. Don't those panels look strange when sewed together? It just feels like it would be clearly visible that it's not a single fabric.

Thank you, once again! You're the best.
Cheers,