Shadow Guard Robe/Cape and Saberpike

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Batsk
TKID: 11150

Re: Shadow Guard Robe/Cape and Saberpike

Post by Batsk »

MUZAK wrote: ↑Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 am
Batsk wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm For the lining a high quality linen is acceptable. It needs to match the kama as much as possible though. I replied to you again and made some adjustments to the earlier recommendation. Let me know what you think.
I've checked and I agree with you. I might even put the arm slits even closer to the helmet to match the reference. Rogue One robes it is!
One more thing if you may, I'm sorry: Since there's no "division" on the front panel, I guess it would be better if I made that panel as a whole. Don't those panels look strange when sewed together? It just feels like it would be clearly visible that it's not a single fabric.

Thank you, once again! You're the best.
Cheers,
MUZAK :shadow:
In response to your question about drape. The seams/slits will be covered if properly assembled. I will look for a picture of my shadow with the robes down/closed You can't see the slits until I move which is rather awesome imho.

MUZAK
TKID: 16005

Post by MUZAK »

Batsk wrote: ↑Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:04 pm
Batsk wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm For the lining a high quality linen is acceptable. It needs to match the kama as much as possible though. I replied to you again and made some adjustments to the earlier recommendation. Let me know what you think.
I've checked and I agree with you. I might even put the arm slits even closer to the helmet to match the reference. Rogue One robes it is!
One more thing if you may, I'm sorry: Since there's no "division" on the front panel, I guess it would be better if I made that panel as a whole. Don't those panels look strange when sewed together? It just feels like it would be clearly visible that it's not a single fabric.

Cheers,
In response to your question about drape. The seams/slits will be covered if properly assembled. I will look for a picture of my shadow with the robes down/closed You can't see the slits until I move which is rather awesome imho.
My question was not about the slits, I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself well. I was asking about the stitching that's going to put together the panels. Won't the stitching be visible? That's why I was thinking about doing the front panel as a whole since it's the smallest and should be the one that catches the eye the most.

Thank you!

Batsk

Post by Batsk »

MUZAK wrote: ↑Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:33 am
Batsk wrote: ↑Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Cheers,
My question was not about the slits, I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself well. I was asking about the stitching that's going to put together the panels. Won't the stitching be visible? That's why I was thinking about doing the front panel as a whole since it's the smallest and should be the one that catches the eye the most.

Thank you!
The stitching method is similar to what is used to attach sleeves to jackets. What that does is creates a seam with hidden stitches. (The stitches are on the inside) By paying very close attention to the lay/texture of the velvet you could end up with an outer that completely or nearly hides the areas where the panels are stitched together. It should be noted that when you look at the LFL displays that the seams are shown but the stitches are hidden. The good news for shadows is that the rich deep black velvet tends to do a much better job at hiding those seams when compared to the red or blue velvet.

MUZAK
TKID: 16005

Post by MUZAK »

Batsk wrote: ↑Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:40 pm
MUZAK wrote: ↑Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:33 am
Batsk wrote: ↑Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:04 pm In response to your question about drape. The seams/slits will be covered if properly assembled. I will look for a picture of my shadow with the robes down/closed You can't see the slits until I move which is rather awesome imho.

Thank you!
The stitching method is similar to what is used to attach sleeves to jackets. What that does is creates a seam with hidden stitches. (The stitches are on the inside) By paying very close attention to the lay/texture of the velvet you could end up with an outer that completely or nearly hides the areas where the panels are stitched together. It should be noted that when you look at the LFL displays that the seams are shown but the stitches are hidden. The good news for shadows is that the rich deep black velvet tends to do a much better job at hiding those seams when compared to the red or blue velvet.
I've contacted my seamstress and she said it shouldn't be a problem and explained that same method to me :D
Thank you!!!

Batsk

Post by Batsk »

Anytime. I am happy to be able to lend a hand.
:shadow: