Fabric size

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

infernau

Fabric size

Post by infernau »

Any guards here 6'+, how do you deal with making the outer robes when the fabric is 45" wide on the bolt? Do you only still need 10m?

RedGuard701

Re: Fabric size

Post by RedGuard701 »

I am 6' 2" and depending on which film you are building for may cause variances. I built mine based on Revenge of the Sith, The pattern I got from Etsy (which was for AOTC, but still has a seam for the 4 arm openings) called for 13 yards of 44in velvet. I bought a full 15 yard bolt and have very little left. I had to extend each piece 6 inches from my pattern. The front panel was a little too wide for the 44in fabric but it's just the bottom corners which end up getting hemmed and seamed.

The nap on my velvet is very short and 3 of us couldn't find the grain direction, after I cut the 1st piece I laid it backwards on the bolt and we examined it in various lighting, none of us saw a difference in shade or color so I took a risk and flipped the front and back pieces to get more out of the velvet. All front pieces are one grain direction, all back pieces are flipped. It worked great for me.

Hobby lobby sells triple velvet in 15 yard bolts. I got the 'old-glory' color and it matches my Denuo Novo helmet perfectly. Every other week hobby lobby has a 40% off on fabrics which is unbeatable.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_20230601_211223_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230601_211223_HDR.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 603 times

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Re: Fabric size

Post by ugcspawn »

6.1ish here, and the ROTJ Imperial Boot/ KeepTrooping kit was long enough that I had to bring it to my seamstress. It was besore he listed different lenght and size though, and I have no clue which one I have. Pretty sure it's a XL or 2XL