IB Outer Robes

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Erice3339
TKID: 14056

IB Outer Robes

Post by Erice3339 »

I know there are several topics on the IB set already, but I wanted to address one aspect of the outer robes in particular: the sheen/shimmer of the velvet used. Feel free to remove this thread if redundant.

Anyhow, I wanted to gauge the opinions of fellow guards. I've only ever trooped my guard with one other guard, so I am hoping feedback provided via responses will broaden my assessment of the IB Outer Robes and inform my decision should I decide to replace them. Before I continue, I should clarify, I am not outright dissatisfied with Imperial Boots nor do I discourage giving them your business. I am only looking to do right by my representation of the ROTJ Guard as it was brought to life by Rodgers and Pellikka. Even then, I am not looking for perfect screen accuracy per se; while I'm a perfectionist by nature, I am trying to restrain myself from knit-picking (I may be doing so here).

Without further ado, here's my primary question: how does the shimmer of the IB robes compare to the screen-used robes? There's, perhaps obviously, some incongruency, but is it to a degree that I should be concerned with finding a more accurate set? Here are some comparison photos to illustrate my point:

Sheen Comparison

Ignore the color for my helmet for now. I am saving funds to alter it.

As an aside, the IB robes seem to be a bit darker, but I suspect this result has to do with the lighting. I'm guessing, as a movie set, that the Death Star scene was pretty well lit and might have even eliminated some of the shimmer that I am talking about. I will post another photo below to illustrate what I mean here. For now, focusing on the discrepancy of the shine, is it, once more, something I should be concerned with or am I just knit-picking?

Lighting

In this photo, the colors are a near match. The guard on the right of the photo sourced his robes from a vendor by the name of Giovani (please excuse the possible misspelling) out of South/Latin America. The red is flatter on his robes and, as I have interpreted it, seem closer to the ROTJ-used robes. Again, not knocking IB just for the sake of complaining, yet it does seem that the shimmer persists in this shot as well. Personally, I think it makes the guard look even more, well, royal, but it's still different from the original robes.

Supplementary

Here's a couple more photos just in case something I said was unclear or lost in translation. Please let me know if anything I've said needs clarification. To the admins, if this post is inappropriate or needs to be moved, do with it as you please. Thank you everyone, and I look forward to reading your comments and getting your thoughts.

ANH TK (Stunt)
ROTJ Royal Guard
ROTJ Boba Fett
Biker Scout