Sith Planet now has Royal Guard Robes

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

SolTheBull
TKID: 11160

Sith Planet now has Royal Guard Robes

Post by SolTheBull »

So, I was very intrigued when Kelly Jo from www.sithplanet.com said she was working on a Royal Guard robe set. She is who I choose for my Darth Vader Cape set and in my opinion makes the best Vader Capes out there today. Plus the customer service her and her husband provide has always been top notch. Kelly Jo is one of those people that you do not just buy a costume or piece of a costume from, you end up creating a relationship with her.

My Royal Guard costume was sewn together by a local seamstress that was not a Star Wars fan. It was approved, and gets the job done...but could be better. I jumped at the chance to get one of Kelly Jo's, and was not disappointed.

First off, this velvet....it is so much better than the velvet at Jo-Ann Fabrics for Hobby Lobby. Not sure how to explain it since I am not a seamstress, nor am I a mercer. However, as soon as I touched this velvet I was impressed, and I had not even put the costume on yet. I have 3 Royal Guard robe sets, one is the cosplay sky one. We all know that one is trash and not approvable....so I do not even want to try to compare that one to Kelly's, however when I post my pictures I am going to include it in the pictures as a visual reference. My other one is the one I mentioned before, the one that was made by a local seamstress using a pattern found on the forum here. I have never been 100 percent happy with how it covered me. I never felt like the front panel was wide enough. I do not have this concern in Kelly Jo's robe. It covers me completely and then some. She really did a nice job making these capes. Nice may not be strong enough of a word. Amazing may be more like it. You know the feeling you get when you have a costume that is as close to perfect as you can get. It feels good, you are not worried about it falling apart, it is sturdy but not heavy. That is the feeling this robe set gave me. Like when you wear a garment that is well made and high quality. I really wish I knew all the technical sewing terms here, but everything on this set is top notch. And I should mention it comes with the inner robe and the obi belt as well. Everything is top notch!

Another thing I noticed about this is that it does not blow in the wind like my other one. That has always been an issue with outside troops in the wind.

Now, there is only one small issue with Kelly's robe set. It is hard to make one of these that fits perfect without you being there to measure. She handles this with the Royal Guards the same way she handles it with the Vader capes. She makes them longer than necessary. You then either take them to a local seamstress to have them hemmed to your perfect length, or if you are talented enough, you do it yourself. When I had my Darth Vader cape hemmed locally it only cost about $30. However, the last thing you want is a robe that is too short, so doing this is actually a very smart move. Eliminates the risk of receiving a robe that is too short.

Sithplanet also sells Royal Guard Helmets, and as I understand it they are made to match the velvet.

Once the snow and ice stops here, hopefully in a day or so, I will post some pictures of the cape set and compare it to the others I own to give the rest of the detachment an idea. I really wish she would have been making these when I was piecing together my Royal Guard. It would have saved me so much time and hassle.

Please contact Kelly Jo at www.planetsith.com if you would like info on pricing and availability, I am not affiliated with them other than being a customer, so I cannot answer those questions. She may be on the forum here, I am not sure. If I find her on here, I will provide her forum name in a later post.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Sith Planet now has Royal Guard Robes

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

One thing I do notice on the under robes is the sash does not match the rest of the fabric and the lining on the outer robe appears to be a satin of which it should match the same as the inner fabric.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Interestingly enough... the guard isn't listed there anymore...

SolTheBull

Post by SolTheBull »

I believe it will be posted up there soon. I do not remember thrm ever having one before. Last i knew, she was working on getting puctures.

SolTheBull

Post by SolTheBull »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:One thing I do notice on the under robes is the sash does not match the rest of the fabric and the lining on the outer robe appears to be a satin of which it should match the same as the inner fabric.

On mine all the fabrics match accordingly. Not sure what you are looking at since Ii do not believe any pictures are up yet.

OCD_Chad
TKID: 56868

Post by OCD_Chad »

I recently received mine and completely agree. Just the outer robes on mine are 4 pounds 13.5 ounces.
https://i.imgur.com/WtGIpdw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SJn0YWm.jpg