The Clone Wars Senate Commando Honor Guard CRL Creation

The Senate Guard as seen in Revenge of the Sith

GeneralSpeer
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 10991

The Clone Wars Senate Commando Honor Guard CRL Creation

Post by GeneralSpeer »

Regardless of whether or not this approved, this still will be an amazing process and piece of work.

First, of course, was finding suitable photos to even have the possibility of creating the costume in general and I was happy to find plenty of resources in one episode.

First was getting all the angles of these caped warriors which that was easy in itself. It also helped to find the official concept art for the character itself.

But of course, the real trick was to see what was under the cape, which I found by chance. Unlike the other Senate Guard, the shoulders are both the same size as them being phase 1 shoulder armor.

But of course, what is wonderful is I have already started on this process. I am repurposing an old set of phase 1 animated armor I used for Obi-Wan Kenobi,
I will remake this set from EVA foam, but the armor is there and I will need to strip the paint and make sure it's all as I need it before painting.

But before I begin stripping and painting, I starting with the cape, and I gotta say, I am pleased with the look so far. The first layer is cut out and then I need an interior layer for the cape. This is already very exciting and I can't wait for the next part of the process to begin.

I will definitely post more on this and I am sooo very excited to continue this process. :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by GeneralSpeer on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeneralSpeer

Re: The Clone Wars Senate Commando Honor Guard CRL Creation

Post by GeneralSpeer »

After stripping the paint from the armor, I can begin the new paint job. I started with some test items, ie the arm pieces.

I started with a grey primer and then sprayed a layer of royal blue down as a base coat.

So far, so good.

Next, once it arrives, I will mist over several times to til I get just the right look with the Duplicolor Sonic Blue Pearl

And then, for the remainder of the painting, it's more to do with the detailed artwork on the forearms, shins and once I receive it, the helmet.
Because in the images, the detail artwork seemed too dull for silver, I opted for a very light grey instead. We shall see how this works in testing. It may change.

All in all, I am very pleased so far and I hope to have further progress after this weekend.
Last edited by GeneralSpeer on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: The Clone Wars Senate Commando CRL Creation

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Nice to see this. Best luck on this. The plums are probably the trickiest things on this. Having the armor is half the battle.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

GeneralSpeer

Post by GeneralSpeer »

I am fairly excited about this next little discovery... :D :D :D

So, another thing I had a bit of a difficult time with was finding the interior color for the cape. It took me watching back the episode to figure it out.
Unlike the other guard, the Commando cape interior, from what I found, is the same color as the exterior. I am still going with a different material, but this is
a wonderful development! And I already have the fabric I need to make it happen, a crepe satin midnight blue to compliment the dark blue crepe polyester
that I already have made the exterior from.

Loving how this is working out so far!
Last edited by GeneralSpeer on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeneralSpeer

Post by GeneralSpeer »

Forgot to include this in the last post, but misting the duplicolor dark blue over the lighter blue coat makes it look way better. Love it!

Last edited by GeneralSpeer on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeneralSpeer

Post by GeneralSpeer »

I am loving this build more and more. The last two days were crazy! First off, nearly finishes with the base paint job, and I gotta say
I love the clone armor in blue! I am going to be testing out a matte and satin finish on a separate piece of plastic over the weekend to see how
it looks as well as I have more paint to finish off the legs and a few other accessories, but I am excited!

And then yesterday, I did the artwork on the arms. I am extremely pleased with how this turned out and I can't wait to do the same artwork
for the legs and helmet.

Image Image

But of course, after this... I decided it wasn't enough. I strapped up and velcroed up the torso, cod, shoulder, and biecps, put foam padding in,
I put on a black thermal, got my black pilot, dawned the armor pieces that were ready and posed with my DC-15A in hand. I am again so excited
for how this is turning out. Looking just like these badboys!

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: The Clone Wars Senate Commando CRL Creation

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

You are on your way to a new to legion. Great work.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

GeneralSpeer

Post by GeneralSpeer »

The shins turned out fantastic! From what I could surmise from the concept art, and the show, they are similar in design to another senate commando,
I believe a captain in this case. The different from what I could tell being is that there is no artwork on the knee plate on the Honor Guard shine as
with other Commandos that share the same overall design.

Image Image Image

So, moving forward, this was the paint job replicated to the best of my hand painting abilites using the same light ghost grey as I did for the arms.

With this step more or less complete, its time to move onto the cape and make that look spectacular as I have already started doing!
The pattern fabric will be most helpful in figuring out the layout of the cape. This is the first design but I am also take a look at a few others to see how
they look.

GeneralSpeer

Post by GeneralSpeer »

One must be serious when one is a member of the guard, a protector of the Senate, a beacon of the Republic!
But honestly, the love, excitement, and dedication to this Senate Commando Honor Guard is real!There is some strapping,
padding, and other internal things I need to do to adjust the fit, but this armor is looking fantastic!

Image Image Image
Image Image

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

This build is quite incredible to the amount of detail you have put in. Loving the colours you used and the overall look is pretty amazing.

Keep going till you can show the final result here.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania