What is a "screen accurate" SG costume??

The Senate Guard as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Daddy Solo

What is a "screen accurate" SG costume??

Post by Daddy Solo »

***PIC HEAVY***
Hey all, after being formally approved as first an EpIII SG:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costum ... y+costumes

then as EpI/II

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costum ... y+costumes

and re watching the films and studying screen grabs, I have come to the conclusion that the color most of us have been using for our outer robes (royal blue) may not be as accurate as I originally thought. In addition, you can clearly see that several details differ as well from guard to guard (ie gloves tucked into sleeves/ sleeves tucked into gloves, overall tucked into boots/ boots worn under overall, robes to the floor/robes hemmed at the ankle). What is really puzzling to me is how different the robe color looks under different lighting- from dusty blue to more of a royal/navyish blue.

I'd love people's input
as to what they think is the most accurate color of velvet to use for a new set of robes. I've even found a few fabric samples online that I think match better than what I've used thus far. Below are pics of the fabric that I think is close as well as many screencaps of the Guards to be used at your discretion. Discuss

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

DS

Daddy Solo

Re: What is a "screen accurate" SG costume??

Post by Daddy Solo »

****BUMP*** Anyone have any opinion?

DS

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

There seems to be different colors of robes, or at least the lighting makes things look very different. The colors you've shown seem good though.

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

Different lighting can be a swine.

I can show you pics of my SG costume where you would swear the robes where black or even green - very rarely are the damn things photographed as blue.

The maker of my robes referred to all the screen captures we could lay our hands on and Fran had a copy of that book "Star Wars - Dressing a Galaxy" and settled on a Royal Blue material as the closest if not an exact match for the robes as seen on the screen. Unfortunately the Guards time on screen can be measured in seconds.

That "Jewel Blue" you have found looks like an excellent colour choice and I would like to see it next to a sample of Royal Blue to make a true judgement/comparison but at this time I would certainly say "Go For It" with that material.

Are you going to get new robes made 'cause the ones you already have are spot on.

BTW - Do you mind if I save a couple of those screen captures you posted up as they are a damn site better than the ones I have as they are much larger. Been getting together as much reference material as I can find for any one thinking of doing a Senate Guard over here in the UK. At the mo there are only two of us.
Iain

Daddy Solo

Post by Daddy Solo »

I was hoping you'd chime in here. After 70 views on the RL forum, and 14 or so here, it seems that only you, I, and a few select others are willing to voice an opinion. Thanks so much for commenting b/c I consider your opinion to be virtually canon. As for my robes, after watching the PT over again over the holidays and getting as many screen caps as I could, it seemed to me that the royal blue we all have settled on just seemed a smidge off. The actual robe color is a bit darker blue IMHO. I'm gonna try to contact the online fabric store with the jewel blue velvet tomorrow to see if can get a sample from them. I'll keep you posted. As for the screengrabs - feel free to use them as you'd like. I was pretty happy w/ them. It's amazing what you can see in those few seconds. Here is a link to an online album with even more.

http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/tooth ... creengrabs

You'll even find E.T. in there if you look close enough :wink:

BTW, there is a guy on the RL forums that is now making personlized SG ID stickers if you are interested. He just mailed me sets in blue and white with English and aurebesh writing. I should receive them next week

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewto ... 652932#652 (see page 2)

DS

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

There are very few SG in existence. They are the blue neck step children of the royal guards ;) I have a helmet that I still need to get colored. I did see these in person at a SWIC exhibit. They are a darker navy blue vs the bright standard BLUE
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Daddy Solo

Post by Daddy Solo »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:There are very few SG in existence. They are the blue neck step children of the royal guards ;) I have a helmet that I still need to get colored. I did see these in person at a SWIC exhibit. They are a darker navy blue vs the bright standard BLUE
Hardy har har!

Thanks for the insight. As for the helmet color, most research I've done seems to point to a cobalt blue for the helmet RAL 5013

Image Image

DS

TK IAIN

Post by TK IAIN »

No Prob Daddy.

I have'nt been near these boards for ages or the RL forums for that matter but definately taking a great interest in this one.

The only way we can ever get a 100% canon, true blue, no questions asked resolution to this one would be to contact LFL/Disney direclty and basically asked what the damn shade of blue was and until that we can only get as "near as damnit". Fran (maker of my robes) and me did actually approach LFL when she was making the robes to ask that very question but to date we never did receive a reply.

You have got me watching the prequels over and over again and so much so that my pause button got up and legged it. I did notice one thing though and it is in the 1st pic after the visored Ep.III guard and if you look again you can plainly see the pattern/texture of the material is rather course and almost chequered in its pattern.

I personally feel that to get this one 100% right will go on 'til Doomsday unless we got the nod from LFL/Disney as to what was actually used.

That jewel blue is very good indeed and TBH if I found that before my robes were made I think I would have gone for it. Would be interesting to see all the materials together to get a comparison but unfortunately I don't have any samples to send to get that comparison. Ijust know that my robes are "Royal Blue".

In the meantime as there are so few of us in the world (think less than 30 worldwide) we just need to get as close to screen accurate as possible and help each other out as mush as possible.

Not trying to sound conceited but the Holy Grail of the Guards is still that damned plumed lid but that is meaningless if the robes don't look the part.

Now I'm off to have a look at the RL forums for this one.

Iain
Iain

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I've always had a soft spot for Senate Guards which is why I've made it very clear that if my workplace ever does anything to our auditorium curtains which are a dark sapphire blue velvet I want them. I figure I would cram as much of them into my car if they were to replace them and then I'd make a Senate Guard :)
TK IAIN wrote:Not trying to sound conceited but the Holy Grail of the Guards is still that damned plumed lid but that is meaningless if the robes don't look the part.
I think that is the truth. So long as the helmet looks good 99.99% of people would just expect to see a blue robe underneath. There would be knowledge of gloves, or underobes, or boots, or even the number of slits...just blue.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

A couple photos I have from the SWiC exhibit... you'll have to forgive the poor lighting as it was taken in a hockey arena:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

The Ep3 Senate Guard Robes were clearly velvet that was a dark royal blue in colour. No pattern or knapping on the fabric.